Fight or Flight?

Getting worked up for another OneshotWednesday! I so look forward to this each and every week, as to, do many other wonderful and talented writers and artists.  I am so very pleased that Onestoppoetry was able to walk away with the Shorty Award in Art.  They have become my champions, having built a fantastic and welcoming community of thinkers, writers, artists, photographers, appreciators and more.  You won't find support like this anywhere else...so if you're trying to work up the nerve to take the next step in your creative endeavors, know you have fans waiting at Onestop Poetry.

Fight or Flight?

When you stand and look at me
What is it that you think you see?
The truth that hides within these eyes
Cannot be forced or compromised.
A reflection only, but just the same
It is a ghost that wears your name
For in my eyes it's YOU, you see
Reflecting back at you through me.

Do not think you've earned my trust
For I've been hiding under battle lust
I am guarded and I am strong
Your judgement cast won't sting for long
And no matter that you've turned away
I know that look, those words you'll say
That within your eyes I see the same
This haunted ghost that bears my name.

When you stand and see yourself
Reflecting back through all this dust
That has settled on your tired heart
Weights so strong you're ripped apart
Out of the ash this heart is born
And through humanity is slowly torn
As we fight, cursed to genocide
Designed for the battle and then to die.

Power that is absolute
Allows there to be no room for truth
Together we can change the earth
Separation leads to separate birth
Within these eyes I've been forsaking
Denying the poison of our own making.
Swimming in this sea of lies
Building unsafe towers of alibi's

When you stand and look at me
You see yourself through eternities
There is no separate you and I
We were both born, we will both die
But when our truth is set to fly
In brilliance our souls will surely collide
Swallowed up in the unity
There was never a separate you and me.

~Natasha Head~


Comments

Maude Lynn said…
I like the layers, the depth of this. A very thoughtful write.
Diana Lee said…
This reads so beautifully aloud :) Well done.
Luke Prater said…
some strong lines here Tasha. Wonder if your theme/content could be empowered by condensing the piece somewhat? Whatever, nice piece

Warmest Salad

Luke @ WordSalad
Pat said…
The cat doesn't have time to put up a rhyme
So Pat will give a chime

Wow you really put a lot of thought and work into this one. Very nice and very well done. Also the title really fits it great.
Brian Miller said…
smiles. very nice natasha...masterfully laid out...and i love the turn or nod at the end to what it will become....happy collision to you! smiles.
I appreciate the reflection you give to me
But never forget my essential sovereignty
Though "no man is an island",
I can get caught in the jam.
But when the tide goes out,
I surely am.

OneLove--Tiger Windwalker
Anonymous said…
I came back for a third read, just reminds me so much of other things that I have going on bar the writing at the moment Tash, but you managed to write it all down beautifully. You're amazing
Anonymous said…
These fiery, challenge words could be addressing a personal relationship, a structural relationship, or even a self-relationship, and work so equally well in any of those contexts. With each read I read it in one of those ways then come back to other, and wonder if perhaps they are all the same. Dizzying! I also love how you frame your challenge between the first verse (perception) and the last (reality), where your words stand the relations on their head in their true inverse meaning. All power to the woman/poet as she proclaims these truths! Stated with gentle force and passion. Beautiful.
Bubba said…
All is one.

Nice piece, Natasha - very philosophical!
signed...bkm said…
Wow so many thoughts here Nastasha...the line that hit me the hardest was "designed for battle then to die"....what a profound line and you pull it all together the self within each other and the souls colliding in eternity...bkm

Popular Posts