Natasha's Law

An entire day spent discussing ethics in a hotel board room inspires a great deal of inner dialogue, and as a result, tons of ramblings regarding who you are and what you stand for.  Home with pounding head, I was thinking this might be an evening more suited to a bottle of strawberry wine...but here I am, trying to sort out some of those inner ramblings, in an attempt to sort out my definition of self. Hmmm...a long journey, with no end in sight.

Natasha's Law

Circumstances will not hold my morals ransom.
Desire will have no bearing on who I become,
If it comes at the cost of lessening another.
I will not covet that that is not mine
I will appreciate all that I have for as long as I have it,
But these material trappings will not trap me.
The impermanence of this thing that we call life
Is to be enjoyed, for nothing lasts forever
good or bad
I will not be saddened by loss
I will not be an aide to destruction
I will love with every ounce of my being
Hate will not know me.
I will continue, moving joyously forward
Appreciating emotion and experience
Evolving into me.




Comments

Brian Miller said…
smiles. i like your law...i will say its ok to be sad at loss...for a time then let it go...witholding that i think can hurt...other than that i am with you...now go relax...
Anonymous said…
Who says that philosophy and declarative statements can't be poetry? I almost feel like I want to write two comments, one on your flowing language and the other on the content of your words, though they are certainly layered together. All of these are powerful and brave statements (and of course, I agree). But, as I read so often in your poetry, there is an evolution in your words which matches your stated goal. But, I'd like to suggest that this more than a law, but a statement of being; it describes a way of living and helping to shape the world. To this philosopher's mind, that's a much more powerful statement. Your final line sums it perfectly, and also describes the whole process. Yeah, it's a journey, but it's the only journey. Thank you for sharing it.
Pat Hatt said…
Still say you can't teach ethics, you either use them or you don't.

But like your little law, maybe one day it will be right up there with the likes of Murphy's Law..haha...now wasn't it better writing that out then getting drunk and in a funk..lol
Tashtoo said…
Ethics are above the law...according to poor Socrates anyway...think of all the youth he corrupted! (sarcastic wink here) Apparently, there are some jobs I'm not suited for because of my high ethical standards, such as police officer !? Certainly wouldn't want me going all vigilante when the law doesn't agree with my morals! ;)

Popular Posts