One Stop Poetry Form – Rondels

This week in poetic forms, Onestop is offering up class in the Rondel.  Again, fighting my free~flowing, liberated self, and attempting to do it justice.  Be patient, be gentle, and maybe even...enjoy!

The Door

Life is about to change for me
 I intend to learn how to soar
With timid touch I step to door
Allow the change dramatically

Through the lonely days of history
My self has cowered behind the lore
My soul has cried for an eternity
 I intend to learn how to soar

And now this longing to be free
To see my broken spirit soar
Into tomorrow and evermore
Strengthened now by eternity
Life is about to change for me
~Natasha Head~





As so often happens in this wonderful universal mystery we are all sharing, a poet friend has written his own Rondel, that, in our opinion is the perfect mirror to this piece.  I would love you to visit Ben Miller at his blog The Wheel and The Star to read what is a surprisingly in tune companion to my own post.  This was not planned, and perhaps we're a bit off for thinking so, but have a read of Cry For Hearts With Clipped Wings and tell me you don't get a few goosebumps.  Synchronicity in action!

Comments

Sean Vessey said…
Sad and beautiful Rondel. A dash of anticipating death and glorious afterlife. I enjoyed your Rondel -Thank you for trying it and sharing
Very nice little Rondel
Didn't make me think what the hell
Which is a good thing I say
Because as always you make me want to say hey
At your great post of the day
Then it allows me to rhyme and play
You did it justice for sure
As I'm sure you'll do with more
Oh and I beat Brian
I hope he's cryin..haha
Semaphore said…
Your poem shows a great understanding of the rondel form, and how the key refrain interrelates with and strengthens the theme with repetition. I like the way that your poem can be interpreted to mean several things - it can be sad, or life-affirming, or even joyful, depending on how the reader approaches it.
Brian Miller said…
what he said...lol. i just know i like it, and the determinationa nd belief that life is about to change...go...fly...
Beachanny said…
I took it as a statement about shyness. I've watched many a young person on that threshold when talent presses forward and their shyness is overcome. Well done in rondel form I think as well. Gay
Anonymous said…
What a great refrain and more charging than the sum of its words as it ties in the hope and seemingly fragile determination that seep from the words that surround it. And while you've aced the form, it still reads and sounds exactly like a Natasha poem. Still, what I like best is this sense of air and history that the speaker pulls around themselves in their quest for that change and freedom that and reaching into that past for the strength to move forward. Beautifully, beautifully done!
Monty said…
nice work, natasha. at first reading I took it as anny did, coming out of cloaking shyness, then fell into more a religious awakening sense, and at the last got the possible "no fear of death" any more. you've pulled it off beautifully, dear lady :)

bummy / monty
amf said…
lovely rondel, a message of strength and hope. I look forward to reading the link, thank you!

Popular Posts