Lady of the Cove

There are many tales that have been woven about beautiful Peggy's Cove on the South Shore of Nova Scotia. So many in fact, it can be difficult to tell the fact from fiction, and in an area that is so rich with folklore and wives tales it becomes even harder!

 That being said, for this weeks One Shot Wednesday over at Onestop Poetry, I would like to share with you my own little version of one of the more popular stories.  It's a fun little write, the sun is shining, there's a summer time breeze blowing, and my road tripping feet are getting antsy.  In honor of perfect summer days and tourist destinations that are NOT rip~offs, I present to you...

Lady of the Cove

In a violent, raging, rolling sea
She somehow washed upon the shore
Hanging on to that one last breath
Fighting to touch the floor
The ship was gone, her family too
All souls lost at sea
But hanging on to that one last breath
Would rewrite the histories.

The sand was cold, the granite hard
When she released that final breath
The smell of salt and seaweed stench
Proof she'd cheated death.
Waking in the brilliant sun
Battered, bruised, Not broken
Alone in strange lands not her own
Where devil tongues were spoken

The small fishing town soon took to her
And the tale she had to tell
Christened as a child named Margaret
She wove a wondrous spell.
And all too soon love found its way
And blossomed in her heart
She took to the role of wife and Mum
From the fisherman she would not part.

And to this day they tell her tale
Round potbellied kitchen stoves
Of Margaret's arrival upon their shores
Their Lady of the Cove.

Peggy's Cove Lighthouse ~ Natasha Head Photo

Due to a copywrite issue, the title of this poem had to be changed.  It originally appeared as Peggy of the Cove, but artist Ivan Fraser was kind enough to send me a Facebook Message to let me know he had the term trademarked back in 2004 and demanded I change the title.  I offer my sincerest apologies to Ivan, and hope he understands I honestly had no clue! :)




Comments

Pat Hatt said…
Yes heard a tale or two about down that way, but yours is the best one I've heard any day.

Can't say I've ever gone down there though
Maybe one day I'll go

Nice write from a long absense by you
Using NS as a backdrop was fun too
Claudia said…
i always wanted to live in a lighthouse...still would love to...smiles..nice tale_you're weaving tashi...love these kind of stories..
moondustwriter said…
always been a dream to get to that beautiful area - what a delightful mysterious tale
you tell it well

Happy One Shot!!!
mark said…
Wonderful poetic tale. It sort of reminds me of Cowboy Poetry (of which I am a big fan). Really enjoyed this.
Brian Miller said…
cool story poem tash...lucky for her they were not cannibals...that is what scares me about washing up on shore...some rather nice rhyme and imagery...
Louise said…
Lovely poetic tale, I like these mysterious stories.. :)
Unknown said…
A wonderful tale of endurance and a willingness to reach for the future. This seems like a great place to visit. Thank you for sharing! :D
Reflections said…
Wonderfully shared tale! Love the lighthouse shot! I am a big fan... would love to retire in one some day (just not too likely).
hedgewitch said…
An upbeat story, no vampires or anything! It sounds like a wonderful spot to visit, with some down to earth folklore like that attached to it. Enjoyed it much.
ayala said…
A lovely tale ....
Henry Clemmons said…
My kinda writing. Had me smiling proud all the way. This was a lil different from you, but I loved it. The voice was cluttered with familiar noise, you allowed for a fresh voice. VERY GOOD! Haven't heard from you. Glad ut still writin' winners.
Henry Clemmons said…
The voice WAS NOT cluttered. I need to learn how to type :)
Anonymous said…
Wonderful story telling...
Unknown said…
A wonderful poem telling a story that has been circulating in our area for years. If you visit Peggy's Cove this summer don't miss John Beales irreverent version of Peggy's story at The Old Red Schoolhouse.
Anonymous said…
I wish I was visiting the place described so elegantly in your poem
James Rainsford said…
An accomplished and brilliantly rhymed telling of your local legend Natasha. I enjoyed reading this original take on on Peg's cove. Just a quick question. Can you tell me why 'Margaret' is often shortened to 'Peggy' ? James.
Hope said…
I love this! brilliantly penned!
James Marker said…
This is very beautiful limes of poems. Such that in free time I keep on listened these types of poems. And they are one o my favorite lyrics of the poem. They are according to my mood.
Reggie said…
A very delightful read...well done!
Vaporizers said…
The choir's mission is to reveal to audiences the strength, versatility and beauty of women's choral music.
Kevin said…
Nice blog i like it..
Ivan Fraser said…
Hello Natasha: Thank you for changing the title of your poem. Yes, I believed you were unaware of the trademarked name "Peggy of the Cove" as mentioned in my email to you. Apology accepted. By the way, your poem is a beautiful piece of work. Sends shivers down my spine. Of course anything relating to the legend is dear to my heart. Would love to meet you sometime. If you're ever out my way, please stop by.

Popular Posts