Deviant Oak ~ For One Shot Wednesday

Once again, this week saw me running to the twitter~verse, seeking inspiration for this week's OneshotWednesday link up at the always awesome One Stop Poetry.  True to form, the wonderful friends I have made gave me tons of ideas to work with, but the first to answer my SOS was Mark Stratton, with what I thought was a really neat idea. Mark is another wonderful writer I discovered online, and has recently released  a new book of his work.  He's well worth visiting, along with all the other poets and writers who have landed at Onestop. This week, I present to you...

Deviant Oak

And though the plan within this pod
May come from source divine
I don't think I want to grow up
To be a tree this time.

Nestled in this earthen home
Awaiting nourishment
I think I'd rather be a bird
And tell the gods "get bent!"

I must decide, I must choose
Before these roots take hold
If I want to die before my time
So they can mark my lumber sold.

If I stay and grow my rings
An eternity it will seem
Then the saws and lumberjacks
Will start getting mean.

They'll take my arms and rip them off
And head straight for my heart
They'll count my rings and laugh out loud
While sawing me apart!

If I could stay and stand my watch
Like I was meant to do
Then I would honor the divine plan
And not have to choose

But to die so tragic and in vain
Just to lay upon your floor!?
I am the ruler of the forest
A king for ever more!

So watch me grow and give you shade
And breathe the air I make
A deviant who will not bow
And let my kind be raped

 

Comments

Brian Miller said…
woot...love the intensity...i am a tree hugger from way back...climbed a plenty and rolled on a blanket or two beneath, so save the trees and now go write me a grilled cheese poem...haha
Pat Hatt said…
You go and hug that tree
Shout it out with glee
If anyone tries to chop it down whack them in the knee
Or threaten to chop them up and they will flee..lol

Very interesting take
Had no idea from the title this is what would partake
But it defintely was one I enjoyed
As life of a tree you toyed
All can relate to the roots and wanting to fly free
But then of course the grass is always greener that you see
Oh and "Get Bent"
That right there should make those tree choppers repent..lol
Tashtoo said…
Yes...grilled cheese, hot, steamy, oozing...couldn't go there, though it was tempting! Thought the bark was...safer? :)
Tashtoo said…
Oh...my title fooled the cat, er, I mean Pat! Hug a tree for me! :)
mark said…
Holy Fudd! This is great! You made a wonderful poem from the *ahem* seed I shuffled your way. What a wonderful notion, and poem.

Now I gotta get my game on with a bit more ummph behind it. Well done, Tash, Well Done...
Unknown said…
Brilliant ! love that fact you wrote it from the trees perspective and wrote it so well ....thank you ( puts my effort to shame )
Louise said…
Lovely poem ~ I always wanted to be a tree, but people thought I was weird! :D Fine by me...
dustus said…
cool perspective... hearing the POV of a tree being sawed. i like that very much. Powerful closing too. smiles
Laura said…
Magnificent Natasha!
Unknown said…
I envision a day when the angry trees rebel and thrash about. I dig personification of a tree as not a peaceful entity, but a vibrant furious being. Neato! :D
James Rainsford said…
I write upon an oak desk and am for ever grateful for its growing, and awed that in its going it has made a place for me. Great write Natasha. Hugs to you, James.
Unknown said…
powerful piece and nice ending... I love trees so much.. used to climb in them & sit with my friends all the time. great work here :)
Marian said…
yes! love it! get bent, ye gods. sheesh.
hedgewitch said…
Smooth transition from semi-comic to quite serious and real--not easy to do and you handled it well. I am in total agreement with the deviant(as usual.) I don't think there's anything on this planet that's safe from human greed, though, sadly.
Andy McDonald said…
Great poem. Instead of growing roots and remaining in place we should all grow wings and fly, exploring not just the world but our own identities.
Henry Clemmons said…
You know I'm all about trees. Strong vocals again. You don't say anything half way. A kool analogy on life to echo the question what's the use. I may be way off, but I enjoyed it anyway. And it's late. And I'll probably drift off pondering an acorn's fate. Great read.
Anonymous said…
"I must decide, I must choose
Before these roots take hold"

---good line
Beachanny said…
Unique viewpoint. We have an oak near here that is perhaps 2000 years old. It is being supported by braces and has the look of an old man on crutches. There are many old children and grandchildren nearby. They are not far from Compano Bay an inlet of the Gulf. They stand as old companions to the sea with their branches spreading far in all directions, and at their feet bluebonnets and indian paintbrush. Some trees are renewable, oaks are guardians (and Sequoias too) and should be preserved. Thanks, Gay
Maude Lynn said…
This is marvelous! And, so clever!
Dasuntoucha said…
Creative write...after I read this, the image of that talking tree from the Wizard of Oz popped into my head...(^_^)
Unknown said…
Great write ~ What if trees could run!?! The notion of choice is fantastic in this piece. Much enjoyed! ~Rose

Popular Posts