The Problem with Observation

Today at Onestop Poetry's Form Monday, Joy Ann Jones  is treating us to a bit of free verse poetry.  Her article is fantastic, and her work is amazing!  While my own offering will not hold a candle to many of the sincere talents that can be found at Onestop, I present to you...

The Problem with Observation

When I assumed this role
I thought perhaps there would be room for me.
Sticking to these contractual obligations
Is proving more difficult than I had anticipated,
and perhaps I should have paid closer attention
to the fine print;

I was not informed my position came with a gag order.
I was not told that though I would be using my voice,
my opinion could not be included.
I didn't know that action would be sacrificed as proof
and that I would have to be willing to stop living my own life...
to make a story out of yours.


 

Comments

Unknown said…
always read the small print ! like this very much thank you
Anonymous said…
I feel the frustration conveyed in your words. You caught me and pulled me along. Thank You for sharing!
Unknown said…
Great free verse, this speaks strongly to a position of partnership that I recently exited. Your words articulate it beautifully, thank you for this one! ~ Rose
Brian Miller said…
wow. harsh reality...and i can feel the angst tash...two stories can blend well if one does not dominate...and losing my opinion, aint going to happen..smiles.
hedgewitch said…
This is great, Natasha. I love the in-your-face tone, the formal language conveying all the stiffness of emotion held in check. And of course, it is all done in a seamless free verse style that makes every word resonate. So glad you found the time to write and link up today. "...I was not told that though I would be using my voice,/my opinion could not be included...." love that, and man have I been there!
The Silver Fox said…
I've done a few writing projects in the role of "ghost writer," but I knew right up front that I was to write them as if I were the client, with his or her opinions, etc. Not letting the writer know this beforehand is inexcusable.
Anonymous said…
Sad that we don't know what we're letting ourselves in for sometimes. Loved the thought behind this poem Tash, always walk the path with your eyes open! :D
Pat Hatt said…
So true, especailly around a certain ummm "place"..lol....really in your face too, which most that create this crap deserve
signed...bkm said…
Well said, so often an agreement is a gag order for one in a relationship...to ensure the other gets the glory....not good for any relationship ...usually its downfall....bkm
Beachanny said…
You captured exactly my feelings when working in a law office. It was great at times, but when I had to sit on my opinions regarding some issues, I felt as though I'd been betrayed from the start. Well done with tone and language...and all the things Joy said. I loved it too. Gay
Great poem. Thank you so much for adding my banner to your blog :D Much appreciated :D
Anonymous said…
Wow, that was good. sounds a bit emotional though.
mark said…
The first verse has a marvelous cadence to it. The truth of the poem is enhanced by the truth in the making of the poem.

Popular Posts