When Your Unwanted

Onestop Poetry lit my pen this morning! Highlighting the talent of Jim Morrison is one sure fire way to do that for me.  I have carried my dog~eared copy of Wilderness with me since '88, and he is one of the major influences for me.  That being said, here's my response to today's prompt.

When You're Unwanted

Hello father...

Would you care to ride the snake?
Through the infinity of generations
Forever tripping through
Graveyards and sweet carnations
Graffiti tributes, candle light vigils, and
cheap, overturned bottles of wine?
It awakens the spirit you know,
That was left to be discovered
Hovering in a Paris apartment
The death of the body
An awakening of muse.

Like Riders on the Storm
Alive and raging
Round bomb fires under the eternity
Of the dark desert sky.
Drink this ancient wisdom
Laced with the power of peyote
And the voices of our ancestors
Bring down the moon
To shine my spotlight brighter
To see this spirit awaken
At center stage
Dancing a frenzy until welcoming
Death's sweet release.

There's blood on the streets,
It's up to our ankles...
Been there since my time and before
Wading through life force
Feeling the deadness of souls
Out of the chaos the genius awakens
And recognizes the fear to live
The lack of life in the blood
And this dead society maddens him
While the subculture embraces
And the spirit cries in appreciation and sadness
For he knows he will surely waste
If he remains,
And behind him he leaves only words
But their power...
The muse will live forever more
In the spirit of the Lizard King

Mother...do you know what it feels like
When your unwanted?


Comments

Fireblossom said…
I've got to say, you captured him much better than I did. Really vivid stuff, I enjoyed the hell out of it, Natasha.
Brian Miller said…
oh you def captured the feel tash, what i liked about the doors lyricism and jim's poetry is you never knew what was coming next but once you got there it felt like it fit...
Anonymous said…
"When You're Strange" and "Riders on the Storm" were two of the defining songs of my generation. You captured the essence of both in your poem - and much more.
mark said…
I've never been overly enamored of The Doors or Jim Morrison, yet you can't escape them if you're of a certain age or mindset. With that in mind, I found much to like in this piece, Natasha...much indeedy.
Unknown said…
ugg I hate that when a comment doesnt go thru

thanks I could see that the light went on
Jim in his studies and his journey captured what many could not see

thanks Tash
this poem is so deep and somewhat dark, the words almost seems like they are coming alive and like a real life story. you definitely knows how to capture the mind of your audience. Great work.
Louise said…
Wonderful tribute, Natasha...in your last stanza especially.I just loved his voice & lyrics! :)
The Silver Fox said…
Very reminiscent of Jim's moody imagery without cloning his style. Thirty years ago, I went through a brief phase of writing poetry, attempting to find "his" voice, and realized a very important lesson: Influence = Good; Attempted Cloning = Baaaad. Worst crap I ever wrote. Your take on Morrison was so much better!
hedgewitch said…
You've rolled up theme, muse and language perfectly into this one, Natasha. And the opening and close are matched bookend powderkegs. It was my privilege to be living when the radio played Light My Fire for the very first time--though that was just the barest hint of what was behind the doors of perception Morrison died opening for us--and you bring it all back here. Excellent, excellent piece. I tip my witch hat. (And any time you come by my place, you run your mouth all you want. That's what it's there for.) Like the new look of the blog, also.
Unknown said…
Can feel this inspiration poured out beautifully! The lead in stanza has a fantastic flow to it. Great words Natasha! ~Rose
Keair said…
This was recommended to me by David (The Silver Fox) and I enjoyed it quite a bit. As someone who is both a fan of Morrison and a writer who has been inspired by him at times, I must say that I think you did a great job of capturing both the spirit of who he was and his personal style with poetry without coming off as an imitation. The work is, in my opinion, a great tribute to an amazing man. Fantastic job. :)
Anonymous said…
Oh love love Jim Morrison, he was a dish wasn't he, spent ten minutes looking into his hypnotic eyes before even reading the poem....I'm off to look for my doors collection now...

Great heart stopping lines in this one

There's blood on the streets,
It's up to our ankles...
Been there since my time and before
Wading through life force


You've developed so much in the short time since I've known you Tash, so much kudos for getting stronger, better and brilliant!
CherylFaith said…
Your deep, lovely Tribute to one of my main Muses. I really enjoyed Reading your luscious Words & seeing the images you've created. Sorry I'm not online often & haven't read you much, but I hope to be able to more. Please visit my Online Poetry Workshop, where I have written *many* of my Poems, guided by James Douglas Morrison, Eternal Poet...Thank you for keeping Jim's candles burning. I love your "The muse will live forever more..."
PeaceLoveSmiles, CherylFaith
For Jim, Jimi and Janis

Some candles
Short and skinny
Burn fast and bright
Atop the cake
Of Life's celebrations
Their radiance brilliant
Like a brief shower
Of meteorites

Other candles
Are deep and wide
And become
From many erosions
Of Fire
Like the Grand Canyon
Bottomless
Banded by layers
Of remembered geology
Way down deep
Near the rivers edge
The quiet candle light
Is still there
Illuminating canyon walls
With the play
Of jumping shadows


OneLove-Tiger
Lance said…
I was obsessed with Jim in high school. He was a writer and a poet who just happened to be a rockstar.

Your wonderful and dark and moosy and ethereal...perfect
Anonymous said…
Your capture has rocked my world....DAMN AWESOME ♥

Popular Posts