dVerse Poetics ~ The Great Divide

I have survived the final excursion to the malls for Christmas shopping.  Can someone tell me how you can convince a 12 year old that the best gifts don't come from stores?  It would make life much simpler...and I'm all about simplifying these days!

Much to my relief, Brian Miller had a fantastic prompt up at dVerse by the time I returned home.  As mentioned in a tweet, I was in desperate need of some poetry...not to mention some of the best free therapy I've yet to discover! You can imagine my delight when I found he had not only brought the prompt, but in doing so, introduced me to an amazing artist.

Tera Zajack of Olive Hue Designs is no different than the rest of us would be creative rulers.  She battles the day job, the family job, and the same troubles that come when our muse brings us inspiration we fear we don't have the "talent to tackle".

So dear Poets, lets all join Tera in her happy dance.  Here's to all you wonderful folks that help me keep my sanity, and here's to a fantastic and joyful (now that my shopping's done!) holiday season to all!

The Great Divide
Inspired by the art work of Tera Zajack

~Waiting~

She finds comfort in the wee lonely hours
So often they don't understand...think her odd and slightly daft
fore she has grown so very tired of explaining.

It never get's her any where...any further
to preach poetry to a soap slicked politician
when the only constant is the truth weaved within her words.

She could shout it to the world
through grand and fantastic friendships
built on invisible ether, strange and unexpected connections spark!

She can hear them shouting back at her in understanding
over mountains and through the seas in sympathy of her plight
but they are not there to hold her close and safe

With the coming of blackest night.

With pen and paper she makes it through
to sincerely welcome a new day dawned
Inspired by dream~scape and country~side

But never by this thing they call love, this inspiration
that so many claim lends the best fuel for their pen
She wonders of this, she writes of this.

As evening overtakes the sun
she knows that the time has come, the moment to decide
but she wonders if there are words strong enough

To bridge this great divide.

Comments

As evening overtakes the sun
she knows that the time has come, the moment to decide
but she wonders if there are words strong enough

To bridge this great divide.



My answer is yea, way to go, thought provoking piece.
love your writing on this one.
Laurie Kolp said…
"With pen and paper she makes it through"- thank goodness we have that outlet. This is such a strong, emotional piece. I love your use of daft.

P.S. My 12-yr-old and I spent the day baking b/c there was no way I'd head to the mall today. You are so brave!
Grace said…
I love it Tash... I think your words are strong enough to bridge this great divide. My 12 yr old has a sleep over tonight so I am spared the shopping. See you~

(aka Heaven)
Brian Miller said…
whew tash this is one of my favs of yours...fantastic voice through out...def felt as far as the writing out the feelinf felt and those called in absent without and excuse...

glad you survived to pen this my friend...
Pat Hatt said…
Wow you truly were inspired indeed
From such art at the dVerse feed
Such a great tale
You weave at the tashtoo trail
Oh and yeah the malls are scary
Things can get hairy
So avoid them I do
That face it fact is true
Maude Lynn said…
I love your take one the picture! Great write.
Anonymous said…
This is my favorite line, Tash:

"So often they don't understand...think her odd and slightly daft"

~Shawna
(My new blog is rosemarymint.wordpress.com)
Mary said…
I like this very much. Sometimes poetry is one's sanity and comfort; and I am sure you will find the words to bridge the great divide.
Anonymous said…
Love this!
Sheila said…
This is one of my favorites from you. The voice is so sincere and sad in a way yet also filled with a hope that only a survivors wisdom brings. Great job Natasha!
Anonymous said…
I have to say I enjoyed the rhythm in this, your voice was honest with sensitiveness add. Like a mature child
Claudia said…
so felt this tash.. can you hear me shouting back at you in understanding
over mountains and through the seas in sympathy of your plight...? i often feel the same tash..an honest voice here - and glad you survived the shopping madness..
Steve King said…
Natasha,
This perfectly addressed the image of the prompt. The poem has great depth and emotional resonance. The reader (especially if he/she happens to be a writer or artist) is going to remember this, especially the last four lines, well after the reading's done. Excellent job on this.
Nice take and exploration of the image
ayala said…
As evening overtakes the sun
she knows that the time has come, the moment to decide
but she wonders if there are words strong enough

To bridge this great divide....
I love this, so true and powerful.
Great write!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hedgewitch said…
Very compelling free verse write from you Natasha--the support from far and wide (or in digital form) especially real to me--and may some of its very real desire(from me, anyway) to hold you safe get through as you float in the cold air over that great divide.
Anonymous said…
very inspirational ;)
Victoria said…
Aren't we lucky to be thought odd and daft? And to be able to see through that which divides and leap over chasms with words. I love your take on this, Tash.
Gorgeous, exquisitely crafted, Natasha! xxxj
Excellent poem! Well done!

And thanks for your fun contributions to my weekly Limerick-Offs!
theborgpoet said…
I wonder to, if there are words strong enough. Good write Tash!

Popular Posts