100 Word Song Challenge ~ Homecoming


Her arms were a train wreck.
Bruised, scarred, scabbed and bloody
Leaching out across the linoleum
Of the road off attic flat
That had become her home.

Her eyes were no longer with me
Wide open but unseeing
Salty tracks of the tears
Even she didn’t know she was crying
Bleaching the blood
On cracked linoleum

Ambitiousness now replaced
With nothing more than the ghost
Of the girl who used to be
Caught dancing in the rain
And never cared who was watching

Eaten alive by the city she desired
In an attempted escape
From the fenced pastures
Called home.

You can't rock The Black Crows without my mind instantly wanting to talk to angels, so when Lance (who's blog can beat up YOUR blog) gave us Hotel Illness as prompt for the 100 Word Song Challenge...I had to go with a poem...because I LOVE The Black Crows...and I LOVE poems ;)  Don't forget...you can come and show off your own spin on the challenge...just don't steal my angel!


My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog

Comments

t said…
If this was a "Like" button, I'd be clicking it right now.
Brian Miller said…
twiiiiice as hard as it was the first ...i said goodbyyyeee....nice verse ma'am...that city will surely eat many young girls with stars in their eyes....
Tara R. said…
The imagery here is amazing. A poem was the perfect form for this piece.
Such a powerful poem... so sorrowful... abandoned dreams of a life she never found, after escaping from a life she could not bear... the cold cruel world culling her ambition, her hope, herself.
Pat Hatt said…
Yeah the city is nothing to be fooled with indeed
Many should take heed
Only good for a visit at most
And then make like a ghost
Eden Baylee said…
Really well written! That last verse is fabulous.
eden
SAM said…
There's so much to love through this. I really like when poems are made from songs.
Cameron said…
This is intensely visual, and the broken angel always comes to mind when I hear the Crowes, too--even if I took the prompt somewhere else entirely.

Popular Posts