FormForAll ~ Ballade Supreme~ Broke Down

Okay Poets! After all the suffering I did over last weeks challenge at FormForAll, today I decided to lose the stress and have some fun. So while my effort may not be perfect, and those of you who look to form for their poetry will no doubt shoot me...I'm going big with the Ballade Supreme! Dear Gay, thank you for all you do at dVerse and all the wonderful lessons you share with us...and please forgive me my discretion ;)  Welcome to FormForAll...and my play with the French Ballade.

Broke Down

The parking lot of a deserted dive
Thrown shadowed ghosts by a late setting sun
Sits my car that I can no longer drive
So we sit, we wait for tow truck to come.
I had told him to drive this far would be dumb
But boys will be boys and men will be men
Might be "PC" but their sex is their sin
After all, only a woman am I.
What do I know about this hunk of tin?
Surely not enough to know why it died!

And now it's near dark, though barely past five
Slowly my nerves start to fray, come undone
He plays with cell, somehow finds football live
I count the pebbles where tires have spun.
Sound of a vehicle? Enough to stun!
Suddenly the vibe is anything but zen
As old chevy pick-up comes round the bend
Behind the wheel sits a man with one eye
With sores on his face that will never mend.
I cower behind football and my guy.

He climbs from the cab looking barely alive
As though life has beat him, finally outdone
His smile toothless among oozing hives
I look to my man, think "That's it for hun!"
Think "squeal like a pig" Think "Give me a gun"
The man from the truck, from him I'll defend
myself, my life, but NOT this gentleman!
With cables in hand, the hood starts to rise
He revs his truck and our car starts again.
He smiles toothless, one twinkling eye.

So tough lesson learned regarding the men
be it father, brother, even boyfriend
When you count on them to help you survive
and your very life could be up to them
hope they're not busy with pig skin thrown live.


Comments

Beachanny said…
Well what could be more modern than this?! My guess it was Sunday (or some Sunday more or less). You're clever, and witty and right with the form. I'm giving you a gold star for Ballade, Modernity, a poet Par Excellence! Loved it!
Hot Rod Pics said…
"You got a pretty mouth." LOLol! Great Job!! »^.,.^♫
Pat Hatt said…
Oh your made me shudder, the visions of Deliverance I now have in my mind, need to be shaken free. Such fun today at your sea.
Brian Miller said…
oh my steve...lol...oink oink...wow...this was a lot of fun tash...if the pigskin is more important than the woman though, might need to be some re prioritization though...just saying....i kinda like the character that is the savior though...nicely played ma'am...working on mine....
Manicddaily said…
Well done! Very cute and clever, and just well done.

I wish I'd gone for ten line one! (Not meaning to rhyme.) This is a lot of fun. (Also not meaning to rhyme.) K.
how to articles said…
A ballade substantial has ten-line stanzas rhyming ababbccdcD, with the envoi ccdcD or ccdccD. An example is Ballade des Pendus by François Villon.
Kevin Allen said…
Hilarious; this is the first time I've seen sex, zen, and football used together. Only you, keep throwing these out
The Silver Fox said…
Interesting recurrent pig motif...
Lydia said…
I think this is marvelous! You had fun with it and created great fun for your readers. The first stanza is my favorite...it set the scene so perfectly. :)

Popular Posts