Heroics~Meeting the Bar

Victoria has us thinking about our heroes and heroines today at Meeting the Bar over at dVerse. One thing it made me realize was how many awesome people I have personally in my life...and I was set to pondering for a fair bit, attempting writes to honor them...and falling terribly short.  Here is where my pen ended up, and I would like to think, he's a hero to many.

Heroics


Sacrifice after sacrifice
Giving so much
Without expectation of return
Knowing that the only secret
Is love…

A life simplified
Allowing truth its proper place
Telling the masses
Where it can be found
But letting them find their way.

Kindness as religion
No idols, false or otherwise
No rule book
Simply acting as the heart tells you
With no doubt

We need not blame gods
For the disasters we inflict
Rather
We need to take responsibility
For our role

It is kindness
It is accountability
It is simple beyond reason
Worthy of sharing
On Facebook walls

So perhaps
Worthy too
Of complimenting our path?

from L.Rubinstien (FB)

Comments

Dave King said…
I like this very much. Found it a most enjoyable read. Thanks.
Brian Miller said…
simple truths tash...it does not take much but many dont follow the path and well that is how we get where we are....
angelique said…
Accepting responsibility for the universe is something liberating to some and frightening to others. This poem is deeper than it first seems, and I like how much you packed into the short lines and stanzas.
I agree that each should follow their own path. What makes sense to me won't always make sense to another. Nice write, Natasha. Well said.
http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/one-hell-of-a-ride-3/
zongrik said…
ha, i figured out a go around to comment on your page :)

i like how you stuck facebook in there


pedestal ivory goddess
Pat Hatt said…
Yeah many want more and more
With there encore
When it only takes a little bit
If only many weren't such a nitwit
the Buddha said "life is so hard- how can we be anything but kind". I guess the real heroes are those people who manage to achieve that on a day to day basis. Personally- this is something I TRY to do; albeit sometimes I slip. Your poem here serves as a reminder for us ALL to try and be heroes every day of our lives. All it takes is compassion and acceptance. Maybe I should read this everyday....
hedgewitch said…
Thanks for this Natasha--one of the heroes of our time, and any time, and I don't use that word lightly. A living example of how walking the walk and talking the talk DO make a difference. Kindness is what makes one believe our species is indeed redeemable.
Unknown said…
Nice sentiments here Tash. Not only do you meet the heroism prompt, you take it a step forward with thoughts and possibilities for individuals to become their own heroes as well, at least that's how I took it. Great job, thanks.
Unknown said…
You capture very nicely the virtues of our heroes, which us honor them whoever they are. Indeed, such qualities will bring a person not only the respect of their peers but know in themselves how much they mean for others. To do so humbly and with charity is the true mark of heroes and heroines.
Anonymous said…
"A life simplified" ... There is so much truth in this, Tash.
Victoria said…
Indeed, an amazing man. A while back I visited an exhibit on Buddhims in Chicago and there are a pair of his sandals under plexiglass. I reached my hand out toward the glass (didn't touch, that's a no-no) and got shocked by static electricity. Hmmm.

Popular Posts