Ice Age ~ 100 Word Challenge ~ My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog

If you've got a pen in need of inspiring ink...muscle up and visit Lance for his 100 Word Challenge.  He's rocking some Radiohead this week, compliments of last week's victor, Lisa.  Here's my 100 words...let your imagination take them where you will!

*****


January.  Coldest on record.  Ice blocks our view from the grimy window of our downtown apartment. I could scratch my name, but my fingers are numb from the temperature.
“You told me this time was going to be different. You promised.”
He doesn’t look at me. He can’t.  No job means no money means no heat. Just that simple.
“You said you had gigs lined up for months.”
Still nothing. Silence. Just the rat-a-tat-tat of the drum stick he cradles, bouncing on snare.
I turn back to the window, and slowly start scraping S.O.S into the frost, burrowing under blanket.

*****

Comments

Pat Hatt said…
SOS, If I can see
The cat will come and save thee
If the cost of gas
Doesn't discourage his little rhyming ass..lol
Lance said…
great response. I like how the cold is a character. well done.
Brian Miller said…
eeek....sending help now...when they come busting through the window do not be afraid...they are there to help...smiles...
Marian said…
ugh, a nightmare.
Unknown said…
You really got the idea down pat in 100 words, awesome job and you really captured the unfortunate nature of today's economic situation. Love how you used the cold and the ice to intro to the real issue. Great job. Thanks
The Silver Fox said…
Damn. It's tough supporting yourself as a musician, especially when you can't -- or won't -- work at a "real" job while waiting for that big break. It's like the old jokes:

Q: "What do you call a musician without a girlfriend?"

A: "Homeless."

Q: "What do you call five musicians standing in a row?"

A: "An unemployment line."

Not so funny, if you're a musician.
Carrie said…
I could feel the desolation, the coolness. What a crappy situation to be in.
Hot Rod Pics said…
This is so well-crafted, fitted within the 100-word box with trenchant effect, merveilleux!
Eden Baylee said…
Definitely happy I'm not her. Great writing.
eden

Popular Posts