Apparitions & Misguided Obligation ~ #Poetics @dVersePoets


Apparitions and Misguided Obligation

Are you like me? Fighting voices and ghosts
living within the memories you allow to define
who you are, who you were,
all the people you’ll ever be?
It is constant…their cries
vibrating, decorating
every moment to come…shading
shadows, defining borders
setting limitations…

For a brief time I thought myself
strong enough to resist their influence.
Are you like me?
Delusional?
Thinking you can actually ignore them
when they control every word
that flows from your pen?
You write for them you know…
if they are all you hear.

At night, when darkness falls
and I think I am alone,
I ignore their shadows
as they manifest within this now dimension
telling me there is no purpose here
for my mission, for my truth.
when morning comes
I realize
they are winning.

Who is daring enough to write pointless words
in a world where no one reads?

Who is crazy enough to present a new way of thinking
in a world where no one thinks
their thoughts hold value?

You lose yourself to their noise
To this misguided sense of obligation
they play within your plan.
Winding you up, sending you off
laughing when you stumble
as you try to exist within this world they have
convinced you YOU’VE created…

The world I want is there
I KNOW it is.
It comes to me in voices too
through the ether
invisible…yet real.
Stronger than ghosts of memories
whose time has come and gone.

Uniting
Inviting
Providing worth and purpose
Providing strength
To the voice that was once smothered
To the voice that now sings
In her knowing
There is worth to her delusions
Merit to her plan
And NOTHING but the smoke of shadows
Behind this misguided sense of obligation
That one time convinced me that to live
I had to suffer.
And to write anything beyond a sales pitch
Was pointless.

Karin (AKA @ManicDDaily) is prompting us with our call to duty today at Poetics.  Bring your pens to dVerse and answer her call! Also posting this as NaPoWriMo for today. Can't believe I'm actually pulling that off! 


Comments

Claudia said…
ha - i like...and guess we poets are crazy enough to write on and on....steve jobs said once: Stay hungry, stay foolish... and i think that sounds like a perfect way to live life and to write, write, write...and it's not pointless at all... happy poetics - let's let the pens run hot - ha!
Brian Miller said…
whew....the voices they do tend to haunt and taunt...and the world needs new ways, the old ones certainly have not worked...and dont call me no one...smiles...let the ghosts go and the strong voice take over...and lets blow this thing up...smiles.
mrs mediocrity said…
Who is daring enough to write pointless words in a world where no one reads?... yes, poets, always, although none of it is pointless, though in the deep dark of night it can feel that way.

you are pulling this off in a big way! excellent.
Dasuntoucha said…
The world I want is there
I KNOW it is.
It comes to me in voices too
through the ether
invisible…yet real.
Stronger than ghosts of memories
whose time has come and gone...


...word. Poets indeed make words happen...ONE::
Anonymous said…
I agree with Mrs. M. and enjoying joining fellow humans (delusional as we may be) in reaching for liberty. Love it.
Unknown said…
Really great questions. I tend to really enjoy the poems that take me forever to read because I see a question or a thought that all reading must pause until I wrap my head around it. You have a few in here. Really good, and then I love the shift in style there at the end, excellent crafting tash. Thanks
Ed Pilolla said…
it's like a writer's anthem, with such insightful views into the real modern world in which we live. the color of your daring spirit makes this fly.
Laurie Kolp said…
This is so strong and thought-provoking. I, too, agree w/ Mrs. M... that part really stuck out to me.
Mary said…
Nathasha, this is a gut-level poem, and I appreciate it. We have to continue to think our thoughts hold value, if not to everyone, at least to some. Yes, I understand about words that 'no one reads,' but some read, and to some yours / my words ARE important. I know that or have to believe that. No writing is pointless. Keep writing, as will I.
Anonymous said…
Some powerful and moving words in this, Tash:

"You write for them you know…
if they are all you hear."

"I realize
they are winning"

"Who is daring enough to write pointless words
in a world where no one reads?"

"through the ether
invisible"

rosemarymint.wordpress.com
I hear your pain, but I don't feel it--most of the time. I just write; I write what I feel, and let it all hang out. The key for me is not to care what anyone will think, just let it out. I try to help, not hurt, though; hirting people is not a rewarding thing; helping them is.
Great write! Very well said!
http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2012/04/21/my-wheels-dont-turn/
Anonymous said…
so i take it that writing sales pitches is rather trivial for you!

duty to challenge
Anonymous said…
Hi Tash--the shadows are really strong within! You definitely manage to elude them and describe the struggle well. I have such issues that I often think of going completely incognito! Maybe will do someday - when you see the blog DailyDManic--you'll know who it is! K.
Anonymous said…
I'm going to do it anyway... I don't like they...those ones that say you can't...I've fought them all my life and now I just give them raspberry and get on with it...but THEY are persistant...still haunt me. Just as well poets are a stubborn lot! Keep going strong!
Anonymous said…
i share those questions, and felt this deeply. a very thought provoking write.
Dave King said…
The world I want is there
I KNOW it is.
It comes to me in voices too

And may it always.
Unknown said…
I certainly understand the point of the questions and how the ghosts and demons threaten to overshadow who we can be. Your poem, I think, is a wake up call to realize that we are only partially defined by our past, by our present social duties, and that there's self-realization in the idea that time changes us, change is all, and we must listen to that ghost of the future self that brings self-actualization and fulfilled potential.
Anonymous said…
Wow - this is raw and powerful and words spoken in a true and honest voice. Who amongst us hasn't felt those ghosts haunting our pen our memories and those still moments? You ask the essential questions, "who is crazy enough to present a new way of thinking", "who is daring enough to write pointless" words. The world you want is out there, though I know it is sometimes hard to find. Again, this is another powerful poem/rallying cry and reads deep like a river.
Dawn Pisturino said…
Aren't poets supposed to be mad and delusional? That's part of their charm!

Popular Posts