NaPoWriMo 2012 ~ Hemingway Would be Proud ~ 04.02.12

Okay, day two and I'm still in...hows that for commitment! ;)  This post is also blending in with Shawna's Monday Melting...thanks for the inspiration!

Hemingway Would be Proud

Nothing beats the sea shore in June.
Give me the breeze off the bay
scent of salt in the air
the bulbous bodies of jellyfish
riding the waves.

Nourish me with with the tang
of a mint leaf dancing in my glass,
an early afternoon buzz
that would normally be frowned upon

I am a natural
I was born to drift
recording my deep thoughts
and profound prayers
Rum dumb
but alive.

There is a healing that comes
with an absence of grass
a cure with every grain of sand
as I bury my toes in their warmth

and the sun fries my exposed skin
shaving seconds from the hour glass
though I do know better,
I also know there is aloe waiting
to slow the burn.

With pen in one hand
drink in the other
I welcome the heat
and know

Hemingway would be proud.

Comments

Brian Miller said…
smiles...yes he would...you are out in the world...a beach trip does not sound half bad either...
mrs mediocrity said…
yes, indeed, he would :)

i really like the mood of this, i could hear the waves...
I love this.....this is so positive - and you're staking your claim in the world! Those first two stances just roll off the tongue- the tang of a mint leaf dancing actually makes my mouth water. Hemingway would indeed be proud. Just don't blow your head off with a shotgun ok? Lol
Lamce said…
Perfect setting. PaPa H would be proud.


Rum Dumb should be our band name.
Mark Windham said…
I would so like to be making Papa proud right now. Oh well, I do get to go to NOLA this week. Just have to substitute the French Quarter for the beach.

Good writing!
Unknown said…
Oh I like this one a lot Tash. Papa would be proud of this. Great verse. Also, love the stanza with the shaving seconds off because of the sun. Great job. Thanks
Anonymous said…
This gave me big smiles, Tash. :)

"Nourish me with with the tang
of a mint leaf"

"I am a natural
I was born to drift"

"Rum dumb" (this phrase should win an award)

Love the inclusion of Hemingway. :)

~Shawna
rosemarymint.wordpress.com
Unknown said…
I love this! And yes... I believe that he would indeed!
Anonymous said…
love the dancing mint leaf, and the title (he would), the seashore in June (especially, can't wait)... and the way your poem threads it all together pretty much seamlessly

Popular Posts