NaPoWriMo~25.04.12~The Illusion of Choice

Dear concerned citizen,

While your efforts to dictate my personal belief system are appreciated,
I fear I remain unable to bend to your rule.
The mind that thrives inside
is unable to comprehend
your easy way of judgement
and the fiction you cast as law.

While I understand you believe you are making these decisions
for the sake of the children
why can you not understand the choice is not yours to make.
If choice is a sin, then I stand prepared
ready to suffer the fire and brimstone
that you threaten will fall upon me.
It is only I that will have to suffer the punishment
of deities and hell fire.

It is I who will have to carry the weight of the choice
The could have's, would have's, should have's
The conscious that makes me who I am.
Why do you choose to cast me as villain
when you are content to crowd the side lines
Your ticket to heaven ~ a card board sign
or a homemade bomb
ready to take more lives than you save?

This soul shell, this body, does not belong to you.
This conscious, this heart, is not confined
The future has yet to be written...
How is the life you would have me lay down to die for
more precious than my own?
Who are you to decide?

I was not born a breeder
I was not born to mobilize armies
I was born as woman
and what and who I will be
is MY choice to make.

Comments

Very well said Tash ... I love this poem ... it is POWERFUL.
Brian Miller said…
booyah...strength in yor voice today...you tell it poet
Anonymous said…
Bravo! Joe Strummer would be proud.
Dawn Pisturino said…
Excellent post! You are speaking for a lot of women out there (and men, too.) Despite the politicians, women are NOT going to give up their choices. Why this continues to be an issue is beyond me.
Anonymous said…
As I think I said somewhere, this should be nailed on the door of every politician's door and I wish that more women would take that powerful statement of ownership you make at the end. This is a letter in a poem in a statement and is powerfully done. It makes me think of how to better dress political issues in my own poetry, too - thank you for that.

Popular Posts