Poetics @dVersePoets ~ When All You Need is Space

It's the smell of his body odor,
like a delicatessen
where the Spanish onion
has forsaken the refrigerator,
that does me in.

If I had three feet...would that make it better?

He stretches his arm
huge hand grasping for purchase
as we sway side to side
perfect unison
lulled by the sound of the rails

but not dulled

Each short curly underarm hair
that busts out of the
too small Lakers jersery
draws my attention

Universes of bacteria
whole civilizations
fumigated
then regurgitated

If I had three feet...would I avoid contamination?

The toothless woman to my left
slides closer
her robust hips now melded
to my own
making room for a young mother
and the cloud of Avon vapor
that tells me she wants to be so much more.

Her story is written all over her face,
and on the shoes that just don't shine
quite like they used to,
and the sadness in her daughters eyes
as she folds into her creator
and stares at me
through orbs that hold no adventure
no fairy tales
just a quiet desperation.

If I had three feet...would I be able to convince her it can get better?

My senses are assaulted
abused, battered
but it is my heart
that has been forever changed.

And as her daughter continues to stare
I realize how vital
that three feet is
to my own survival

What comes to mind when you think of riding a subway? Claudia is prompting poetry over at dVersePoets Pub, and you're invited! Also tossing this one up as my NaPoWriMo 14.04.2012

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yeah I've ben here before- today actually! Nothing worse than getting stuck between a rock and a hard place- especially when the rock's armpits smell like it could use a shower or ten! This was a great observational piece- capturing wholeheartedly the ugly beauty of people riding the subway- it takes all sorts I guess!...take an emergency nosepeg next time!
Brian Miller said…
smiles...nice on the minute details...the under arm hairs. the avon smell that tells you she wants so much more...really like that tash...in the open the smell like a dlicatessen gave me a chuckle early on....def some intersting sights on the subway...fun trip tash...
Scarlet said…
I need space when I am riding the subway..away from the smells and children if they are sick. I like the repetitive line of space...it is very important as being late or prompt for your appointment ~
Unknown said…
great piece Tash. Love the tone throughout. A darkness mirrored through reflection. Love that. Thanks
Beachanny said…
No subways for me felt like this (though I know they could) but miles of bus rides have. How poignant the repetition of the three feet - would it make you more stable, or less? I know those odors and those stares. Wonderful exploration of place.
Beachanny said…
No subways for me felt like this (though I know they could) but miles of bus rides have. How poignant the repetition of the three feet - would it make you more stable, or less? I know those odors and those stares. Wonderful exploration of place.
Good grief, Tashtoo! You make me want to avoid subways at all cost! But then you wrap it up with some nice feelings too. Great poem!
http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2012/04/14/ah-the-aroma/
aprille said…
Natasha -- this is most powerfully smelly, funny, sad, disturbing, worrying, and disarming. A little wonder. I think of [good]poetry as a crystallized snippet of life.This is such a one.
Claudia said…
haha...you should see me smile...i'm very sensitive to scents...smell things before others around me realize...this can be haunting at times..but also gives an extension to such in the atmosphere of a place...and i kinda like not only watching but also smelling people in the subway...but i know...i'm a bit strange, so...just don't take me too seriously...smiles
Wolfsrosebud said…
such personality you've given your traveling buddies
Unknown said…
This really vital and vibrant in its depiction of what the subway and getting jam packed can do to the heart and soul of alive beings. I really think that space and lack of it can cramp the inner core of what makes us human, something Kierkegaard called primitivity. Your understanding of this is important and bears repetition, a technique you use very effectively here as well. An awesome meditation on the power of leveling the soul that subways can have on us.
Ginny Brannan said…
You captured well the ambivalence, the fascination/repulsion of literally rubbing elbows with so many diverse strangers. For good, for bad, we carry these images, now burned to our memories, to pull out and write about at times like these. (I don't think three feet would have made much difference either way!)
A wonderful piece, Natasha.
I've lost track of times being packed up against and in stranger's bodies on the morning train. Its gets so tight sometimes that you know what brand of underwear they're wearing! And had my nose stuck for 40 minutes once in a very large woman's armpit who clearly thought deodorant was the work of the Devil. Your poem captures these feelings.
Anonymous said…
for some reason, the toothless woman just popped out before my eyes

alive on subway senryu
Dawn Pisturino said…
Perfectly describes why people dislike public transportation!
The detail was point on. You sold me at the title.

Kelly

http://simplydeepoetry.blogspot.com

Popular Posts