Lunatic Run

It's there
if you look hard enough
there's much more than wood
holding this baby together
there has to be...right?

The sun rides high
in the mid-July sky
blistering lips
blistix stick
bubbling skin
already brown from
a stolen midweek vacation

and up the hill we trek
bags of goodies
bouncing against hips
enveloped
in cotton candy mist
we laugh
as a cart full of lunatics
goes hurling by
screams lost to empty lungs
as their breath is stolen.
We laugh
but we're nervous....

Hidden now from the sun
but still no reprieve
as we join the short line of thrill seekers...
this ain't your grandma's log flume
and there's no refreshing splash
waiting for you at the end of the line
"Woman! We could die"
His eyes avoid mine
and I know resolve is slipping.
A cart full of lunatics
rolls into the station
broiling with laughter
he mistakes for fear
caught up in his own the way he is.

I take a seat, buckle up
while he stands there
one foot in the car to hell
one foot suspended
above the last piece of solid ground
he thinks he will ever touch.

I let him off the hook
as the nine year old kids
that have grabbed the front of our car
should not be subjected
to the bombardment of curses
he will not be able to control
even for the sixty seconds it takes
to find our way back.

I shoo him from the platform
pull the lap bar tight
and flip him the bird
as my car load of lunatics
the last in the line
careens over the edge

You know,
when you grab the last car in the line
you actually hit air...not rail?
And the great wooden timbers
start to shake.

The Tree-Topper Coaster, Upper Clements Park, Nova Scotia
Claudia is prompting us with Fun Fairs today for Poetics at dVersePoets...and this is one wanna-be who was in need of some fun.  Creative liberty has been taken with my tale...but that's not to say it's NOT based on truth...sorry hun! ;)

Comments

Brian Miller said…
woohoo...the old wooden ones are my favs....and the front car you hang for a second there before you feel the slam of gravity...and that last def catches air....love the wooden ones better than the steal pipe modern ones....you shoo him away and flip him the bird...lol....
Claudia said…
believe me - i can understand his feelings...i'm scared to death with roller coasters...working on it...not yet there...ha..fun write tash...
The Silver Fox said…
Ha! "A cart full of lunatics!" Love that!
libithina said…
Oh my them old bone shakers - remember an old wooden one in Blackpool - not like the one you show Tash but big enough - was green all day - hugs Lib
Anonymous said…
Loved it :)
Help!
I want to get off ...
You're making it too scary. Wise companion, brave you.
Anonymous said…
Always a treat to read your work and here you go again, edgy, cool and a wild ride.I could almost hear those lunatics!
Gloria Baker said…
Yes natsaha I know about this!
Unknown said…
Fun write, when I was able to ride the roller coasters, the wooden ones were always the scariest and that being the most fun. Sure the upside down ones probably should be considered the scariest, but you're in so tight it doesn't really scare as much as it can at times turn the stomach a bit, but the wooden ones, yeah, the good ones make you white knuckle ride it through. Great read. thanks
Now I want to go to an amusement park, but with your poem I felt like I was there, so I'll just sit here and keep reading in the Parlour of Tashtoo, eating peanut butter and crackers with my doggy, too - love it, Tash! ♥
What a fun write! Loved this piece from you!
Laurie Kolp said…
Yes, those wooden rides are creaky scary... love this especially-

this ain't your grandma's log flume
and there's no refreshing splash
waiting for you at the end of the line
hedgewitch said…
I stopped riding roller coasters long before they started making them out of upside down parabolas of metal-HELP!!-but I do remember well the last one I rode, thinking I was about to die, despite all evidence of the lunatic happy people all around me--you go girl, though, I say.This was a fun read, Natasha, and I got to ride vicariously, so it's all good.
Anonymous said…
i like the cartful of lunatics and "his" reaaction to them.

/roller coaster of dysfunction
PattiKen said…
Love this. You and I traveled together, except I took the front car.

"... laughter
he mistakes for fear
caught up in his own the way he is."

I know that guy.
Shawna said…
I really like your line breaks, especially in the first three stanzas.
Anonymous said…
Grabbing or waiting or fighting for that last car, a big thrill! great poem :))!!gardenlilie
Anonymous said…
Excellent write .. I'm right there on the rides I never really want to take
Dave King said…
Hope you got as much fun writing it as I reading it.
What a fun read! I loved when you flipped him off and let him of the hook. I can just see the scene! Love this!
http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2012/05/26/all-wide-eyed-and-loving-me/
Mystic_Mom said…
I like how this reads like a roller coaster ride - very good! I'm not a coaster rider, but admire the lunatics who are!
Victoria said…
Your amazing details and involving the senses just make this come alive, Tash!
Charity said…
screams lost to empty lungs
as their breath is stolen.
We laugh
but we're nervous....

So many wonderful lines, hard to choose a favorite. Wonderfully baited!
DQPoetry said…
Haha good fun, I can empathise with your boyfriend/husband who wouldn't jump in. Only recently have I started to enjoy roller coasters and stopped being sure I was going to die.

I enjoyed you flipping him the bird before you took off haha.
Anonymous said…
there's much more than wood
holding this baby together
there has to be...right?

Exactly how I felt getting on some rides--some of the ones that spin you around until your dizzy and slam you up and down. The roller coasters, tho, I love. Must be one of the lunatics...
Roller coasters have always been the place where this lunatic draws the line, they just terrify me! A fun read though, quite enjoyable from the safety of terra firma!
Glenn Buttkus said…
Wow, another blazing poetic ride tonight. The old wooden giants, harder to find these days, flex and shake, and you become more a part of the experience, not just a bag of mad meat catapulted into the air on chrome and aluminum railings. Liked the line /enveloped in cotton candy mist/.
vivinfrance said…
One of life's rich experiences that I have missed, like your companion - though I never got near enough to put a foot on the car! This is an exciting, poem, full of fun. Bravo.

I missed Mister Linky, but mine is here: http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com/2012/05/28/village-carnival/

Popular Posts