Sonata Vampirica ~ A Review from the Blue Room

Sonata VampiricaSonata Vampirica by Samuel Peralta
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

They have been idolized, romanticized, glorified and movie-ized for as long as I can remember. Why then, have vampires, not been truly poetized? Sonata Vampirica (The Semaphore Collection) brings us the poetic mind of the vampire. With lines such as "Though you have pierced me, cut me, flayed me/ Let my blood flow/ red to earth, you have not destroyed me. No. and "the cadence of my pain. Denied the sweet/ release of death... we suddenly see the vampire humanized.
Through a fantastic voice, we journey from birth with the beast who has risen. We are treated to such human emotions as fear, lust, envy, loss, love...we are granted goosebumps, and in the shadows of the night, the poetic voice rises in stanzas such as ...And all I want is to spit out death's bitter/ cancer from my mouth, to taste more than blood...
There is no denying the talent of Poet Samuel Peralta...there is no denying his skill, his mastery of the written word, BUT...I have to admit, this engaging collection has got me wondering about his human-ess....I have returned from exploring the mind of a vampire through poetry...and Mr. Peralta has me wondering how he can know it so well. ;) An enthralling read, one that will be revisted time and time again. For those with a passion for the underworld...this is a must add to their collection, for those with a passion for poetry...you can not be without it

View all my reviews

Comments

Unknown said…
Intriguing poetry. I love the lines you quoted.
Brian Miller said…
sam just rocks...and this is just one small example...smiles.

Popular Posts