Take me to the River

My Blog Can Beat Up Your Blog

Say Hello to LeeRoy...each week, him and Lance put up this little prompt for us wanna-be writers to bend words to.  They throw up a tune, and we get to hash out 100 words, no more...no less...using the song as prompt.  Each week, Lance and LeeRoy pick an entry from the previous week's and the writer gets to pick the song.... (just click on LeeRoy to come play too!)

The Song

                            
Last weeks word weaving wonder was Eric from Sinistral Scribblings who brought us Live's Pain Lies on the Riverside (A favorite band...a favorite vocalist...how could I NOT respond to the call!)

My Response...

You call me victim. I suspect just about everyone who is riding this roller coaster we call life is upside down at the moment.  I do take issue with letting the term define me.  I’ve got a few bruises, a few scars (I’ll admit…self-inflicted is a term I’m used to) You call them wound, I call them trophy. The fact I am still able to rise, means I can still try to reach that river, and if I happen to stumble from its tributaries to the sea, I’ll take it.  My book of shadows would prefer salt water for salvation.

...And Now...It's YOUR turn! 

Comments

k~ said…
Interesting way of going about this Tash, I had to read it a few times to take it all in. Nice!
Brian Miller said…
salt water gives that lovely sting on the wounds as well...and i earned every one of my scars...
t said…
Perect take on the tune. PERFECT. Going back to read it again in a spell, in fact =]
Unknown said…
Strong and brave - this piece screams it to me. "I am not a victim!"

Great 100 words.
Tara R. said…
Very empowering. I especially liked this line... "You call them wound, I call them trophy."
Unknown said…
oh, very nice prose here tash, and then you drop in the book of shadows, which completely shifts the underlaying imagery and/or meaning to a whole other level. This piece is a perfect example of what I like or at least what I try to do, in that by including allusions you take the piece to a myriad of places, hopefully broadening the overall meaning in the process. Love this. Thanks
barbara said…
"I’ve got a few bruises, a few scars (I’ll admit…self-inflicted is a term I’m used to) You call them wound, I call them trophy"

There is POWER here! Too often people call such things self inflicted. They know nothing!

Well stated.
Carrie said…
A different take on the idea of wounds...I would never consider them trophy but then that is not my mind set.

Nice 100
Jenna said…
This was beautiful prose, and empowering to read!

Popular Posts