The Wastelands ~ #Poetics ~ @dVersePoets

I have denied myself the adventure for a very long time.
Right brained, left brained
battling obligations in contrast to desires.
A series of unfortunate events
led me to discover
the path was easy to uncover.

Somewhere
among the midnight calls
and fears of being found out
I realized the charade had run its course.

In aiming to please all but myself
I had lost my voice
in a constant chorus of demands
from those I had misconstrued as needing me
when in reality they were simply needy
and just about anyone would do.

Hard on the ego
to wake up to a real world
where for so many years
your worth was steadily inflated
based on junk bonds and fear
of passive aggressive behavior.

So I stepped on to the path
called my own bluff
and unearthed a world of my own creation
where I paint
where I sing
where I get drunk on poetry
and lounge on blue bamboo
while Buddha ponders
and Jesus prays
while Aphrodite tempts
and Loki giggles from his perch on my shoulder.

I have conversations
beyond markets
beyond politics
beyond this earthly realm
that holds so many ensnared...

The fact I have them alone
doesn't bother me in the least.

"EXILE"...Karin has us pondering the word, in relation to writing...whether it be self-imposed or otherwise.  It's been a couple days of people overload for me...so my choice was simple.  It's Poetics at dVersePoets...which I like to refer to as sanctuary ;)

Comments

Brian Miller said…
while Buddha ponders
and Jesus prays
while Aphrodite tempts
and Loki giggles from his perch on my shoulder

love the nods to each of these...and you are not holding all these conversations with yourself...as far as i know i am not a figment of your imagination...haha....its a hard world poet...
Mary said…
Natasha, I love this! I am glad you got yourself out from the charade and are living now within the world of your own creation. Getting drunk on poetry is the best kind of drunk. And yes, I have conversations with myself too...any creative person does, I think. I REALLY enjoyed this poem.
Anonymous said…
Now, Tash, I know I often say this, but this is really one of my favorites of yours. Just terrific - a sense of humor and outrage at once, a lot of clever metaphor, but a kindness that comes through too. Enjoyed greatly. k.
Anonymous said…
Shhhh, don't tell, I meant to be asleep but having been woken by one of the kids I found myself here at 2.30am! I'm glad I did though, Tash I thought this piece was stunning, ESP liked the buddha stanza, but wait, no I didn't, I especially liked them all, will be back to re read in the morning because I loved and connected with it so much!
Victoria said…
This has a sense of familiarity that kind of kicks me in the gut. I love how you express this for me!
chazinator said…
This exile from oneself is truly a form that is most common in life. Discovering what one needs for self-awareness and well-being. You always clearly identify the stakes and the context of how they arise. The narrative brings to life the reality of how you dealt with them, providing a universality that I know all can understand and identify with.
vivinfrance said…
Hooray for the strength of this poem (and its writer).
Claudia said…
So I stepped on to the path
called my own bluff
and unearthed a world of my own creation
where I paint
where I sing
where I get drunk on poetry
and lounge on blue bamboo
while Buddha ponders
and Jesus prays
while Aphrodite tempts
and Loki giggles from his perch on my shoulder.....

loved esp. that whole stanza... good to get drunk on poetry and lounge on blue bamboo...smiles...but you're not at all alone there you know...smiles
Fascinating to make this journey with you, through quagmire onto terra firma.
I admire you for being able to have the conversations alone. That is something I have never been able to do, but what would have made life so much simpler.
Unknown said…
strong piece Tash. The in aiming to please..stanza hit me square, totally feel that. Great read. Thanks
Fabulous, Natasha-- very inspiring-- we have trod similar paths. xxxj
Mystic_Mom said…
Loki - now that is a character that doesn't show up near enough! Really spectacular write!
Anonymous said…
The last line had me chuckling--great poem!
Anonymous said…
I spent precious years of my life in the situation you so aptly describe and its emotional and physical toll was devastating. Such sagacity, thank you!
Natasha, the left/right brain thing reminds me of the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz: "Of course, some people go both ways!" This musing on the nature of creation, on faith in its myriad varieties, and yes - getting drunk on poetry! Inspired poetry, indeed. Peace, Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2012/06/17/far-away-from-home-exile/
oooooh! love, Love, LOVE this!

Popular Posts