The Meaning of Me @emmettwheatfall ~ A Blue Room Review

There are poets who make you smile.
There are poets who make you cry.
There are poets who scare you to death
and there are poets who make your blood boil...

In "The Meaning of Me", his third full collection, poet Emmett Wheatfall does all this...and more.

From the zen vibe of the silhouette in solitude decorating its cover, "The Meaning of Me" is a wonderful glimpse at a fascinating author.

"I sat with fools
who hung on every word-
and they crowned me their king.
                                           -emmett wheatfall

I count myself among the fools in this case. A fan of emmett's for sometime, I am pleased to discover there is a much more personal connection to be found within this work.

From the opening poem that shares the collections title, ...I shall call to it/And it shall come...This sets us upon a perfect poetic journey. Through nature and countryside, to the bustling city he calls home, we are invited to experience his world.

Perhaps, most celebrated by this reader, is how delightful it is to see the Poet's sense of humor co-mingle so perfectly among some very heavy writes.  His words will take you to the brink, heat up your insides, but always he is quick to provide you relief in the form of a snicker or genuine smile.

Amongst the heavier issues, we are invited to explore the poet's thoughts on race, religion, heaven and, to quote the author, our "Age of Rage" (a personal favorite from the collection) We are treated to wisdom, to glimpses of the metaphysical, and to a pen that bleeds truth and observation in the most brilliant of inks.

Ultimately, the collection has travelled well with me. I have dreamed of eating grapes at midnight in Madrid. I have learned that "On a Sad Day" we can still find the time to sing and that sometimes, you just have to "Draw Something". This is not a collection for my bookshelf, rather, it will grow dogearred and crinkled as it takes it's place at my side. It will be returned to again and again and lays claim to my new favorite.

"The Meaning of Me"
A Book of Poetry
by emmett wheatfall
Reflections Publishing House
2012

Comments

Brian Miller said…
emmett is cool peeps...missed my chance to meet him one time because of mother nature...an earthquake if i remember correct....will add this to the list as i would love to have him on my shelf..
Very interesting review. Thanks!

Popular Posts