Thomas/Plath Mashup #poetry by @Tashtoo

dVersePoets FormForAll host Samuel Peralta (aka @Semaphore) is challenging us to the form of Cento.  Basically, I'm stealing the work of another to form my own.  There's not too many verses I have committed to memory, but for the sake of my first poetic theif in the night excursion, I'm going to use two favorites, combining "Epitaph in Three Parts" by Sylvia Plath with Dylan Thomas' "In my Craft or Sullen Art". Have I got them to work as one? You get to be the judge.

Sullen Art In Three Parts

"Destroy your mirror and avoid mishaps"
In my craft or sullen art.
"For your fate involves a dark assailant"
With their nightingales and psalms.

An accurate assault upon the eyes
When only the moon rages
Blood runs a glissando from the hand
On these spendthrift pages

There is more than one good way to drown
Round the griefs of the ages
My room is a twittering gray box with a wall
Who pays no praise or wages


Comments

Hot Rod Pics said…
One just can't go wrong with Sylvia Plath with Dylan Thomas to work with! So is so cool, Natasha, I love the way you've woven their words together.
S.E.Ingraham said…
How very cool to match these masters (alright, one master and one mistress) and have them come out rhyming and possibly making better sense together than ever they did apart ... brava ... that's some cento magic Tash, excellent.

http://thepoet-tree-house.blogspot.ca/2012/09/accept-shadows-centon.html
Brian Miller said…
dang poet...you brought the house down with this...that first stanza is wicked engaging....that last stanza sucks the air out the room too with the closure....really nicely woven poet...
Myrna R. said…
Sullen or not, this is art. Incredible what you did with lines from others. You did a great job. I especially like the first two lines.
Glenn Buttkus said…
Two powerhouses to pull from, and a fine mesh you have weaved. Puts me in mind of my Sylvia Plath poem from a few months ago; nice job, Nat.
Beachanny said…
The excellent opening line sets the stage for a nocturnal journey to the dark center of a sphere or a spirit.
Anonymous said…
Wow, Tash, this is awesome. Who would have thought- Thomas and Plath - beautiful -K
Anonymous said…
Quite powerful lines, well done to weave them into a new poem...
Semaphore said…
Brilliant, to provide a Plath vs Thomas lineup as a draw. Both full of pyrotechnic subtlety, both engaging and deep. Excellent work!
Anonymous said…
Well done! k.
Unknown said…
Your combo creates fireworks, I read and re-read. I agree, this oozes cool.
Susie Clevenger said…
An unlikely match, but you have created a stellar piece.
Sue Judd said…
Yikes, this is dark...brilliant weave of these lines.
Anonymous said…
Almost disturbing but I guess that's what to expect with Plath. Such a brilliant poet, writer...as are you.
You have woven well! I enjoyed the raw edge of this... Very cool!
Sherry Blue Sky said…
This is wicked good. Brilliant combination, woven seamlessly.

Popular Posts