Chum ~ #OpenLinkNight @dVersePoets

Mask in place ~ time to face ~ another day ~ not me
Glued in place ~ with steps to trace ~ a plank to walk ~ for free

The sharks are hungry ~ they smell my blood ~ my balance is unstable
I'd jump, just me ~ but my hands aren't free ~ to swim, I'm hardly able

A feeding frenzy ~ my heart as bait ~ they were always waiting
Soured milk ~ from mother's breast ~ they grew up always hating

Now me or you ~ anyone will do ~ their hunger knows no taste
An insatiable need ~ pure greed ~ that lays us all to waste.

So this is the game ~ the name's the same ~ all for profits won
I'll sell my soul ~ if the price is right ~ and I get to have some fun.

Pick a side ~ the greed flows wide ~ no way to fence it off
I need food ~ I need a roof ~ and all this comes with cost

In the system ~ buried deep ~ survival ~ who wants more
Where does it go ~ once we're all gone? ~ To litter heaven's floor?

The water rises ~ The sharks draw near ~ I smell their fetid breath
I turn to you ~ I turn to them ~ the only choice is death.

I can't do this ~ be what you need ~ I've tried so hard for years
My patience wanes ~ My courage grows ~ these waves are just my tears.

In their salt ~ I'll float away ~ hungry sharks be damned
I'll let them have me ~ If this is it ~ Your supposed promised land

That holds no room ~ For hearts like mine ~ I am not welcome here
I need no prayers ~ No propaganda ~ Your instrument of fear.

I do right ~ though law says wrong ~ I live by morals only
Not by sordid legislation ~ drawn by puppets~ phony

So in the end ~ I'm all I got ~ I'll jump and take her with me
The only soul that I can save ~ will heaven or hell greet me?

Y'all ready for the magic of @Hedge_Witch to take over the pub? Joy's been resting up, and we're just a few hours away from OpenLinkNight at dVersePoets....See you soon!

Comments

Pat Hatt said…
Do what one wants
No matter the taunts
Bunch of old tight behinds
Try to appeal to mass minds
Bunch of crap
Except to maybe a sap
As they flap
Off their lawless yap
First with my burst!
Claudia said…
wicked flow in this tash....and boiling emotions as well..heart as bait...soured milk..the sharks drawing near...ugh..and then back to basics..the own soul..
Brian Miller said…
nice...really cool form to this tash....there are plenty of opportunities depending on how much of your humanity you want to give up to get it you know...assimilate, assimilate....the soured milk from the mothers breat...ha nice touch...and in the end you are right, you are all you got...and the one you have to answer to at the end of the day...
Glenn Buttkus said…
A stellar message, terrific metaphors, and what appears to be a new Tashtoo form, or is already established? Poem was great, nice ride.
Jinksy said…
Oh, those circling sharks! :)
Sue Judd said…
Fabulous rhythm and flow! Loved it.
Daydreamertoo said…
Wow... Save us from hungry sharks...
Jennifer Wagner said…
This reads like such a strong anthem! Made me think of "to thine own self be true"...and the rhyming made it fun to read as well.
Dana Dampier said…
Sharks... Ha! The waters of life are infested with them.
Steve King said…
"So in the end ~ I'm all I got"--Words to live by, Tash...I love the way this races. Great creativity within your form. Nice work.
ayala said…
A hard read because I feel your pain. Powerful words. The one you have to answer to is yourself and as long as you can look within and be happy..then that's all that matters.
Unknown said…
Emotive, truthful, and empowering!
Susie Clevenger said…
Damn sharks..this is a strong emotional write. I love the form of it...little pauses for emphasis.
jackie dick said…
God, Tash...how this resonates w. me! Yes, sometimes...no always, we are all we have. Once this is known, we are empowered. Great write!
mrs mediocrity said…
I love the form and rhythm in this, it all works perfectly to bring your message home. Great imagery, somehow I felt the sharks circling as I read!
Unknown said…
With sharp cadence and rhyme scheme you impart the ultimate message... we are each responsible for our own selves, souls.
A great philosophy.... I've always viewed life here in the U.S. sort of like that, but the chum angle is uniquely on the mark! There are things that I consider basic needs here, and I convince myself that I must meet those needs, in the very least... so I jump in the game and soon find myself with a myriad of different opportunities to sell my soul. The truth is that a warm bed at night, or shower in the morning, or a car in the driveway, or a driveway itself are not really basic needs. We fool ourselves into believing that they are. But the truth is that when the author of the Old Testament wrote the prophetic words that God would someday send us to the land of milk and honey, it's very unlikely that even the kings and queens of that time could have been assured a warm bed every night, or a shower every day. We are living more largely than they did! We can buy a gallon of milk or jar of honey at a cost well below one hour's wage. What would it have taken to get those things to a Pharoa? Truly we are living in the lap of luxury. And heaven or hell awaits those who act accrodingly within... Great Poem Tash..... It is something I've often wished could be shouted from the roof tops..
Anonymous said…
Tash loooove the energy behind this and the feisty end too!
so many great lines in this; i love the feel; the way you structured it; the defiance and ultimate self-reliance... just a fabulous piece of writing! LOVE IT!

Popular Posts