The Crossing @NWCreativeUnion #WWUC


The kitchen table is bursting with the color of late summer. Sunflowers and black eyed susans are the centerpiece against the earthy tones of a dull gingham tablecloth  The tea has steeped and despite the humid air, lends a sense of comfort to the ambiance.

We watch as she raises the tea cup, hand shaking, rings glistening in the sunbeam that cuts a cross on the table. Little do we know this will be our last tea time. Perhaps, had we lent more consideration to the moment, our conversation would have taken a different course.

"Don't you worry about me, girls...I've lived my life."

Her voice, unlike her hands, does not shake. It is firm, lending credibility to her statement, still...I dread the coming conversation.

"I'm ready!" Fist in the air, we can't help but smile.

My sister takes the subject a step further. I envy her ability to ask what my heart can't put into words.

"When you get there...if you get there...can you give a sign. Let us know you made it...but not a creepy one," she adds.

"Of course!"

Just like that...as though this is something discussed over tea on a regular basis.

She turned her attention back to the humming birds at the window. How she loved to watch the humming birds.

***

And so...we thought, because she was ready...we were ready.

Perhaps, somewhere, inside, our heart was healing, but our minds, let alone hers, were not ready.

Not ready for the Germans lighting fires in the hospital room.  Not ready to tell stories from a time before we existed. Not ready to see her slip away so slowly.

Oh, so many tears.  Tears now as I type these words. 

We came together...many we hadn't seen in ages. And we let her fly. No big affair, she would never had heard of such a thing. Just ashes, tossed to the wind and finding purchase in the mighty waters of the Bay of Fundy.

We returned to a house that was different. Smelled different. Felt different. 

My sister and I both turned to the window, where she had spent so many afternoons entranced by the flickering hummingbirds that would visit the feeder, hoping to perhaps see one, to take that as the sign she had crossed, that she was okay.

For once, the air was calm. No breeze approaching with the incoming tide. Completely still. 

And as we stood there, we watched that humming bird feeder, with no cause or reason, simply fall. To this day, I've not seen the birds return, though the feeder has been waiting.

Not creepy.






Posting for the Halloween edition of The Wednesday Wake Up Call over at NWCU where Joanne is prompting us to honor our ancestors.  This particular piece is dedicated to my grandmother, who passed in August. The only person I've ever known to accept me just as I am and urged me to seek every dream I ever dared to dream. Love you Vi.

Comments

Hot Rod Pics said…
Very touching, thank you for sharing this.
Unknown said…
'The only person I've ever known to accept me just as I am and urged me to seek every dream I ever dared to dream.' This is the beauty and promise of love. It sounds like she embodied that love intensely. I am sorry for your loss and grateful you shared this story with us. Marvelous and affecting (I cried too).
Monty said…
love it, natasha. and to know truth in the wind, or lack of, and that bird feeder's fall? doubters should wonder :)

Monty
Oh Natasha... You're grandma is (I say is because I'm sure she's off having an adventure somewhere) amazing. She sounds like one of those people whose mission is to uplifts souls.

This piece is so simple in it's structure and yet convey's so much story, emotion, meaning. Well done!
Brian Miller said…
smiles...its nice to see a longer form from you...i like your prose...and its tender...i am glad you got your sign as well....there is a bit of magic in that....she sounds like a wonderful person...
Susie Clevenger said…
My eyes are full of tears. We are never ready to say goodbye even when we know it is best. Your grandmother left you with a legacy that gives you strength when times get tough. Thank you so much for sharing her with us.
Unknown said…
Very touching piece Tash. The format chosen really worked wonderfully, and you did a masterful job eliciting emotion with your words. Amazing response and share for the wake up call. Thanks
t said…
Tears now too, as I read your words.

Thank you for sharing a bit of your story so beautifully.

Peace to you and yours.
moondustwriter said…
Natasha
a beautiful drop
of a tear
a memory
a life that watered so many
a heart that
beats
on

Popular Posts