The Dead Don't Speak ~ #WWUC @NWCreativeUnion

Her Ghostly Image ~ Leslie Moon

There's a shadow on the stairs behind me
It's a good thing the dead don't speak
They tell me they live in my head
so too must the shadows

There are eyes in my bedroom window
Red and violent, raging
It's a good thing the dead don't speak
I need no voice to know they're hungry

I haven't slept in many nights
but I don't tell them
They think the dead don't speak
and chalk the voices up to nightmares

There's a shadow standing right behind me
Layered in the dirt between the panes
reflected and warping
It's a good thing the dead don't speak

His hand, his vapor, rests now on my shoulder
goosebumps are nothing compared to the chill in my bones
he leads me to the stairs silently
and I know now why the dead don't speak

For his screaming will haunt me always.


Leslie Moon shares this fantastic image over at The New World Creative Union's Wednesday Wake Up Call.  Mr.Linky is live till Sunday morning...so you've got lots of time to see what you can bring to the prompt. Hope to see you there!

Comments

Lance said…
I love the first line. It foreshadows all the others.

well done piece
poetjanstie said…
Ooh, Natasha, I'm sure your visit to mine wouldn't have helped you with that! This poem is quite chilling, but, somehow, not scary. I don't know why it's not scary, perhaps it's my mood, but this is still one spooky interpretation of that image and I think one of the best!
Brian Miller said…
bwahaha...smiles....i know the dead speak...i grew up with a cemetery in the back yard....the dead are there surely and you would be hard pressed to get me to believe otherwise...
moondustwriter said…
Now that, Natasha, is a great warm up for Halloween
screaming, creepy chills and all
Sean Vessey said…
Nice twist to the haunting scream
Scary to my reading eyes...
Do I dare look behind me?...
Anonymous said…
Yikes! Well done. k.
Hot Rod Pics said…
A haunting refrain; very well done.
Laurie Kolp said…
Bone-chilling... the repitition works great here, my friend.
Susie Clevenger said…
Makes me feel uneasy...the repetition keeps enforcing the fear. Love it!!
marousia said…
Chilling - spine tingling - sinister - love it!!

Popular Posts