#Erasure #Poetry inspired by...

Going to a favorite all time read for Anna (@Chromatopia_LLC) Montgomery's prompt over at dVerse Poets for this weeks MeetingTheBar.  This was a new experiment for me and proved more than interesting. Swing on by, read the article...and don't forget the eraser!

Westward Bound

First he looked behind him
Confession was held
in a large bare walled room.
They would keep after him

Was his mother still sitting
separating the people
Fifth Avenue separates pedestrians
a shovel, two picks, ball of twine

Could he really keep going West
began all over again The Story
The second task, calling his Mother
Shameful! Shameful!

Ragged hole in the plaster
a deserted barn standing slumped
about one fourth of the way
a shovel, two picks, ball of twine

Keep going West
his body tired, but no sleep
His mind would not let him go
This noble beast had died for him!

Disorderly images
Songs by Fats Waller
the thing reached out towards his mother
a shovel, two picks, ball of twine

Close your eyes...you have night eyes now
Keep going West
Disturbing confession
the boys in white turtlenecks

Little stick men and little stick women
Iron age coffin, the box
Where you headed kiddo?
West

for a shovel, two picks, ball of twine



Comments

Sabio Lantz said…
You showed us how authors of novels are poets too:
"This noble beast had died for him!"
interesting experiment, eh?
Brian Miller said…
Tash, excellent choice....i love me some King...this is haunting....esp love the comeback to the shovel, picks and ball of twine....oh, you gave me shiver...ha...love it...
Wander said…
That is one of my all time favorite books! Rambling man Jack!
Semaphore said…
Haunting, with its litany of 'Westward' and its plethora of foreboding images. King is one of my all-time favourite writers, and this is as much a tribute to him (and Peter Straub, no slouch himself) as an original erasure piece.
Unknown said…
I agree on the shivers, I am too much of a coward to read King and your poem definitely haunts. The iterations and underpinings reinforced the menace. I am now going to have to think some happy thoughts to get to sleep :).
Beachanny said…
I don't read Stephen King - everyone else I know does. What I heard here was THE BLUES. A perfect blues song with a haunting refrain. This kicked a**!
Unknown said…
Lovely, lovely. Or is that the wrong word? I liked it, really like it, how about that?
Mary said…
This left me breathless..just as eerily evocative as King's writing, the very little of it I have read.
Jeff said…
Great lines here, you did justice to King and yourself with this piece!
Pat Hatt said…
King is grand
Captured him well in your land
As eerie creeps up all the way through
Wonderfully done from you
Unknown said…
I must admit, you made King a little less frightening, but not much. The repetition of shovel, picks and twine is downright eerie.

Popular Posts