Imprisoned ~ #Poetics @dVersePoets

SueAnn Lommler image
What is this world that dares to shine while I remain trapped?  Confined within these walls of darkness, I can no longer deny light dances just beyond my reach.

Glass is easily shattered provided the right instrument is at hand. But the barriers I battle are constructed of titanium, for there is no shadow stronger than the ones I have bred within my mind. There is no tower of concrete high enough to help me reach heaven, and these wings have wilted within the gloom.

Rooftop to rooftop, wishes fly with no direction. The worldly me convinced it is mine to own. No different from the suits who have weighted my heart with distaste each time I strengthen the lie through companionship. I am fragile. Their flattery strong. I hate me for being so susceptible.

Out of the mouths of the innocent secrets turn to headlines. Chained to the trappings, ego falters when suddenly they are stripped away. By my own hand. When I wasn't looking.

I know in the gloom there is space. Void of attachment, the implications of having to fill it becomes overwhelming and I find myself clinging to the lies forced upon me, somehow, suddenly desperate to be nothing more than a drone operated by the hands of those who do not understand consequence.

If not for guilt...I'd be lethal.

~NH

Brian Miller is stepping to the stage to kick-off Poetics today at 3pm. Today, he brings the fantastic work of SueAnn Lommler to dVersePoets, and I can't wait to read the wonderful pieces her work is sure to prompt. See you at the pub, Poets!

Comments

Brian Miller said…
oh be lethal please...smiles...being trapped is a brutal feeling tash....trapped by lies or expectations of others...stuck....i feel you...great line,
Out of the mouths of the innocent secrets turn to headlines...really digging your prose madam poet...
Hot Rod Pics said…
An awesome write. Your love of poetry so enriches this. It moves any who reads. Very well done.
Laurie Kolp said…
I'm loving your prose... especially:

there is no shadow stronger than the ones I have bred within my mind. There is no tower of concrete high enough to help me reach heaven, and these wings have wilted within the gloom.
Beachanny said…
...and your ethics. The poems I've read so far speak of transcendence. I think her art must exude that and push our minds to better states. Well said, Natasha!
Anonymous said…
"I hate me for being so susceptible"...yes, that self-disgust at holding oneself in a prison of one's making. I know that feeling all too well. The anxiety about what's out there, the desire to grab hold and change the course of one's life, the fear...all a potent mix. And that last line, brutally honest, a perfect ending.
Gene
Mary said…
This poem seems to speak of the search & hopes. We all have them. The drone reminds me of Brian's recent poem. And I wonder wouldn't we all be lethal if it weren't for the guilt....or conscience, whatever we might call it.
Anonymous said…
"No different from the suits who have weighted my heart with distaste each time I strengthen the lie through companionship. I am fragile. Their flattery strong. I hate me for being so susceptible."

That touched me a great deal... I can relate.

Thanks for this...
henry clemmons said…
I loved this and we wrote on same pic and close to same theme. Great minds ... must be in the water up here, eh :)
Not to make light of your work, I agree and identify. Very spellbinding word choices and line work. Held my interest sharply.
Glenn Buttkus said…
We both gravitate back to prose for inspiration, spinning that spice, that peek into the cracks in the plaster, into the windows across the way, and your protagonist is on her journey; now if she just listens to the inner voices. Loved the line /rooftop to rooftop wishes fly with no direction/.
Anonymous said…
We do construct our own prisons, even though we know the light is within our grasp... a wonderfully dark prose poem.
RMP said…
the intro really struck a chord for me. Sometime, I fear my shadows may be stronger than I can overcome. a very powerful piece.
marousia said…
Powerful writing - the imagery is so strong! Love how you wove transcendence through the piece
Lisa said…
You brought truthful words out of the picture. A great response to a great prompt.
Unknown said…
WOW, fantastic and potent, one of my favorites of yours. Color me impressed!
lucychili said…
this feels like brian's poem, about power and consequence. being human and responsible. democracy is a contended space.
Dana Dampier said…
Prose is one of my favorites to write and read because it is so much like a story... and this poem sounds like the story of my life. I love this one a lot!
Sueann said…
This is fabulous...what an honor that you chose one of my pics....thank you. Well done
Hugs
SueAnn
KILLER ending, Natasha! LOVE this!

Dave King said…
Rooftop to rooftop, wishes fly with no direction.

Don't they always? This speaks volumes.

Sabio Lantz said…
lethal without guilt.
Guilt is our friend
Surgically removed from many, unfortunately
Natasha, super writing!
I enjoyed your poetic verses.
Many images here and exploring our daily struggles of dealing with the fear in our lives...

Loved your words,from one roof to the next.. wishes fly..
Maude Lynn said…
Very, very cool. That last line is amazing!
Unknown said…
very strong prose Tash. Killer final line. Outstanding work. Really enjoyed the read. Thanks
Unknown said…
great read ...we all feel trapped at times with or without our input but time changes perspectives ...hope all is fab for you and you find windows opening soon x x x
Quirina said…
This is an incredibly honest and excellent piece of prose.

Popular Posts