April 7th, 2011


Journal of the Undead

April 7th, 2011

Pauline came to me today with the medications I had requested. We've never talked much over these twenty years she has been with me. Yet…we are both comfortable in the silence.  I could see the shadow of fear in her eyes.  I have never presented so much of myself. But who better to show her I’m dying than the me who is already dead.

I have been sending my meals back untouched, and my little parlour trick of coughing blood has proven a worthy diversion.  I hear them talking downstairs…they will be surprised if I get to see another summer.
The warmth of the sunlight I welcome. Though the law states I am condemned to exist in darkness, I renounced their way eons ago. There is no need to live in shadow when even in light I can fool them.  Folktales and myth do nothing for my faith. It is only in my own power I truly believe.

His scent grows so strong now, the closer I move to my sanctuary.  The longing, so intense…almost enough to make me believe the human I once was is alive and well…warm, wet and waiting.  He is in my head always now. His voice, a constant.

But I must not listen…not yet. I hate myself that I am so under his power. I've not yet been able to overtake him, and to think such thoughts now…knowing he is close…waiting.

The night will come soon enough.  I will be filled in a way only he can fill me. I will be satiated. I will be held in arms more powerful than my own.  He will punish me, over and over again and in his wrath, I WILL be alive.



Fred Rutherford is prompting first person narrative today at Poetics. Join @PoeticalPsyche and the rest of the dVerse crew to take a stab...or a bite...if you prefer.  It's dragons and vampires ruling my parlour lately....just going with the flow

Comments

Brian Miller said…
holy heck tash...my little parlour trick of coughing blood has proven a worthy diversion...great opening erriness in that....the rather SM closure as well...he will punish me and i will feel so alive...dang...there is a nice underlying heat to this one...smiles.
Anonymous said…
Ooooh nice, felt a shiver reading this, love a good vampire story, very much enjoyed this morning.
Claudia said…
oh my, oh my...love me a good vampire story and this surely is one...gave me shivers...
Unknown said…
wicked write Tash. I love it. The scene upstairs, hearing them talking, coughing blood-perfectly saw that. I adore vampire tales, always have. This is really unique in the way you tackled the topic, and this is done so very, very well. Thanks
Mary said…
Eerie and deliciously sinister, Tash. Your narrative was a feast for vampire story lovers.
Dang, you tell a creepy story, but a good creepy story!
Chris Lawrence said…
sensual and sinister i love it it wraps like a wraith about me
Dark and unsettlingly sexy read. Nice work.
Laurie Kolp said…
Intriguing and sensuous you vampire you.
Maude Lynn said…
This is hot! Excellent writing, Tash.
kelvin s.m. said…
...dark...dark...dark... & intriguing... you must have been a vampire in your past lives too for knowing and reanimating all of these things here... you must have been deeply inspired to deliver this so well to us... smiles...
Dave King said…
Even non-vampire lovers must love this. Great tale well told.
Anonymous said…
Great stuff! Felt like the old man was coming around here...
Anonymous said…
This is so well-crafted; dark and intriguing, disturbing and piquant. Thanks for sharing Tash.
Susie Clevenger said…
Oh my...this is a dark and delicious tale...Love it!

Popular Posts