Lamp Shade Secrets

Charles Elliott photo
How many single malts served clean
before the truth starts to reveal itself?

The blush of my cheeks rise with every sip
and still you pour

unaware of the devil your releasing...
or are you, I wonder
as you pour again...
your own glass emptied
with a snicker

It's Brora on the table
Harry Connick on the stereo
Still I am able
to act like I don't know what you're doing.

Ignoring the ringing of the ancient phone
that hangs from the cottage wall.
Who? I wonder
but you'll have none of that.

Ignoring the smoke that dances through the air
a draft in the wood stove, closed too soon.
I offer to open a window
You tell me not to be so nervous

Watching you raise the bottle
I let your voice carry me away
with tales of grand adventures
my cemented feet can only dream of.

Still you pour
as we venture toward the bottom of the bottle
and like moths to the flame
the beaded bedroom lamp
beckons

No ice is needed
The atmosphere boiling
Giving rise to the devil

I bow to your magic
all sense of moral superiority erased
I become wanting human

 flawed, imperfect, and all yours.
The truth you've always known.



Joanne Elliott bring the work of Charles Elliott to the Sunday Snapshot over at NWCU...his images are fantastic...and I'm sure the resulting creations will be too. Come play!

Comments

Brian Miller said…
what a tangible enticement between the narator and this other....rather like a moth to a flame...knowing what is happened yet allowing it, going along with it...being a wanting human yourself...smiles nice atmospheric piece here tash...
Love the interplay here. Secret...not so secret and yet... Good stuff!
Wander said…
I fricking love this poem!

There are so many things going on in such a, what appears to be a, simple situation.

To be…

If you stop
Pouring
You’ll not see
What I want,
How I truly wish
To be...
The liquor's not talking
It’s just helping
Me agree with me

Wander
t said…
That was "edge of the seat" damned impressive. I love the imagery and the flow. Almost made me jealous of whomever was pouring =)
Other Mary said…
Oh, this is great...something about the descending lines of words, and the level of the bottle, and the inhibitions...all soooo good.
RMP said…
sinfully delicious. as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with little indulgence.
Monty said…
I knew when I read your comment on fb and I had already perused the wonderful images, which image I'd find here. you fit image to poem perfectly and once more wow me, natasha, with your "nothing left to lose" writings and get out of your comfort zones :)

Monty
Susie Clevenger said…
Steamy Natasha...sensual interplay throughout. Love it!
Ben Ditty said…
It's probably strange I read single malts and thought of milkshakes. But the feelings you evoked really resonated with me.

Popular Posts