Thank You ~ #Poetry by @Tashtoo

Thank you for showing me how I should be...
for every finger that ever tickled my tonsils
in hopes of regurgitating the image you promote.

Thank you for teaching me
that in this world, the majority of the people
are as shallow as the information you feed them

You would think, if I existed on your steady diet
of plastic, lies, and propaganda
that I'd feel okay...doped up
brainwashed and committed to every war
you ever teased me with.

It was when I realized the war was against me
that I became fearful.

Microchipped and snipped
prepped for reality tv
every line committed to memory
every mind committed to slavery

Onward media moguls march
...oh right...we do that for them.

Digitized pulpits in hologram churches
where my supposed sisters stand to preach
that my body is not my own

Tell me their bras aren't burning in the flames of the very hell fires they hope will purge my freethinking ways

A hippie, A freak, A sadist, A beast
for I dare to look beyond the channel, the screen
know what I mean?

Brand names may elude me
with oxblood exceptions
Band names fill the bible
that rests on the night table
where you beg me to say my prayers

who cares?

Completely trumped up and fabricated
If you're them your loved, if you're not your hated
or relentlessly medicated
Your very soul to become laminated

Feeling a little bit frustrated

in your attempts to prove you're not?

Sit back, relax
the world's just fine
sublime

and never mind the words whispered in the white noise of REM as you slumber in front of the tube

Fear not the disconnection

we all know waking up is hard to do.



A mass-media prompt...Brian...I can not wait to see what the other poets have to offer up for Poetics today...I got a little irate...and am need of a drink ;) Headed to the dVersePoets Pub...your words are always welcome!

Comments

Brian Miller said…
whew...there is steam coming off your words tash....dang...my fav part...

Digitized pulpits in hologram churches
where my supposed sisters stand to preach
that my body is not my own

true that...sell outs to themselves to make the bucks and to their gender...they will tell us how to run our lives if we let them...
Claudia said…
oh heck..one thing is sure...you are def. never shallow...if i would measure the temperature of your words they would def. be in the fever scale...ha...tight images...the steady diet of plastic lies being my fav..
Susan Daniels said…
WOW. I love this. Wish I had written it, so strong. Sharing this, if you don't mind.
Glenn Buttkus said…
The rant rules, and your silver tongue stings like a clenched fist; love it! Those pro-life, pro-choice, Victoria's secret, Degeneress dialogues, Jodie Foster classiness images flood my poor cortex with confusion, angst, & resentment on a regular basis. Your dissent in the hallowed halls of poetics is welcome beyond measure.
Myrna R. said…
Ha. It's nice that you got irate. This poem is right on. You make some great points while writing so well.
Anonymous said…
As we say hereabouts - you didn't miss and hit the wall. I too wish I had written this - so much sharper than my effort.
Laurie Kolp said…
So powerful, Tash... the first two stanzas really spoke to me.
Anonymous said…
Best one I've read yet! Thanks for expressing my sentiments exactly.
marousia said…
Oh, the ending is a killer - this is such an incisive write :)
Dana Dampier said…
I touched on a bit of this myself... I can't believe the lengths people will go to in the name of entertainment.
Unknown said…
Hot write Tash, can see the smoke and flames brimming steady here. You hit this theme out of the park with your response. Great read. Thanks
Dave King said…
Microchipped and snipped
prepped for reality tv
every line committed to memory
every mind committed to slavery

This is superb, and so typical of the whole. I love the style.
Bo said…
Very Powerful and filled with truth!
Anonymous said…
Tell it to 'em, sistah! Awesome write, Tash! Very powerful and on the mark!
Anonymous said…
Slam.
Mystic_Mom said…
That is a totally awesome call to arms! Wow! LOVE IT!
Sabio Lantz said…
The answer: disconnect
Ginny Brannan said…
"Fear not the disconnection

we all know waking up is hard to do."

Talk about a "wake-up" call!! This feeds the reader and pulls us through so fast I had to catch my breath when I was done!! So many exceptional points made, you are on a roll there girl! Full steam ahead!


Anonymous said…
"Waking up is hard to do..." Thank God I never fell asleep to this claptrap hypnosis/neurosis. The messages, they are all bad, designed to make us need to buy something to make us look, feel better. Too, too true, babe. Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.com/2013/01/27/extra-extra-editorial-comment-by-moi/
lucychili said…
this prompt is bringing out some great poems. it is heartening to see poets speaking about the experience of media. about trying to be informed and clear headed. great poem.

Popular Posts