Shadowed Sun ~ #Poetics @dVersePoets

Would you believe it is the light of day that sends my demons into hiding.
My heart breathes so much lighter when sunshine sends the shadows screaming.
My mind, as though powered by fluorescents,  some how manages to go beyond those dark places
to find the vitamin 'c'...powder dust realities...alas, my words do not flow quite as well.

Would you believe my dreams are sweeter, should I be so blessed as to fall asleep in a sun ray.
As rainbow prisms dance to a morning dew soundtrack, warming my skin, my self
It is as though my spirit knows to make the most of the light
For with night...I prepare to fight, for these are the dreams my demon owns.

The rainbows bleed to lightening
storm clouds block my sun
the night takes over mind and heart
but I remain too scared to run

The doc offered me sunshine in a bottle, claimed it would fight the dark
but numb and frozen, my demon was content to have his way
and me, with no map back, adjusted to the dark.
Why fight that vital part of yourself you spend your entire life denying

I received his unholy communion the day I tossed the bottled sunshine
and awoke to the truth that remained unchanged, be it day or night
thus ending the eternal struggle, to overcome the darkness with the light
by acknowledging the dark side of my heart, I too validated my existence

Now, whole, it is the light that births my shadows
it is the dark that lets me write
It is the combination of the two
that tells the story of this life.


It Poetics with @ManicDDaily over at dVersePoets where she's talking "chiaroscuro" A contrast of light and dark? Not sure if this is taking home any prizes...but I've learned to have fun in the shadows ;) We're linking up at 3Est...hope to see you there.

Comments

Claudia said…
some tight images...the rainbow prisms dance to morning dew soundtrack..the sunshine in bottles..and the two sides in us...dunno...i don't write well when the dark side takes over but some of the best artists def. wrote and painted their masterpieces in dark and difficult times
Laurie Kolp said…
I love how you pull us right in, Tash. I do feel happier in sunshine and draw from darker experiences, but as you said-- a balance b/t light and dark makes for great poetry.
Anonymous said…
A lovely discourse on this very intense and common problem. I don't know if it's really about you, but living up North makes it especially hard I think with all the darkness. Wonderful images and very passionately but clearly told. k.
Susan said…
"The doc offered me sunshine in a bottle, claimed it would fight the dark . . ." Claims!! Competition of Light and Dark always ends with new unity because they each need the other to be seen in (misquoting Arlo or Woodie Guthrie here)--and your narrative poems lately reveal the light powerfully by showing that contrast. I love naps in the sun too--the best sleep ever! And the writing after dark.
Brian Miller said…
a little sunshine in a bottle would not be a bad thing at all you know...a little of each is where i find my serenity...i def have a dark side...i have learned to appreciate the good in both...but there is a fine line...feels good to nap in the sun though...
kelvin s.m. said…
..i like in particular the last stanza...how everything goes & becomes... really nice.. smiles..
Anonymous said…
The last stanza is so powerful and filled with a stark truth - wonderful - K
Kathy Reed said…
.."it is the light that births my shadows"...quite a struggle it can be in getting to that point ;)
Loved this.
Anonymous said…
Love the final stanza - this is a beautiful narrative poem - I enjoyed the contrasts between the conversational stanzas with long lines and the two stanzas with shorter lines which can be read as an embedded poem ... I really love the structure you have here
Anonymous said…
A whole life needs noth dark and light - and you've expressed that so well here. And health - emotional, mental and spiritual - doesn't come from numbing the pain, but learning to overcome it, perhaps by finding something positive in it, perhaps by expressing it creatively, perhaps by using your experience of it to help others....
Dave King said…
Now, whole, it is the light that births my shadows

Fabulous line, so typical of the poem as a whole. A really enjoyable read.

Anonymous said…
the rainbows bleed to lightening is GREAT

hades gate
Ben Ditty said…
You are one of my favorite voices in poetry, Natasha. "The rainbows bleed lighting"... perfection.
Anonymous said…
brilliant! loved this.
lucychili said…
i can relate to this. negotiating my way around sunshine in a bottle too. i like rain and gardens, birds, dogs, beaches =). i can understand sunshine but here it can get too hot.

Popular Posts