Bread on the Table~ #Poetry

Okay...ad-lib poetry.  Asking for a word list from a mini-me who's making cup cakes in the kitchen means her creativity was flowing else where...and this is what she gave me to work with, as per the instructions found at Poetics with Brian Miller over at dVersePoets

The List:

  • table
  • bread
  • instructing
  • counting
  • feeding
  • tight
  • blue
  • pink
  • book
  • children

The resulting Poem:

Bread on the Table

Systemized to the dream
Rule book set
Blue collar tight
Thus begins the fight

But they change the rules when you aren't looking
Collar becomes cuff in the definition of nonessential
A pink slip left to greet you
On the heels of Monday morning

30 hours becomes 60
Stopped counting at 80
Missed first steps
and concert recitals
Gave every ounce of your being
as their manifesto instructed

The Cost
The Education
The Ritual Sacrifice of everything you ever dreamed
in exchange for false promises

Prosperity and potential
In exchange
for slavery

Cut loose and left to fend for yourself
A criminal of the system's design
Forced underground to feed your children
Over-qualified to go hungry.



Okay...took some creative liberties with the list...but truth be told, I wasn't really feeling the cupcake mood ;) Get your pens to the pub poets...Poetics is underway.

Comments

Brian Miller said…
But they change the rules when you aren't looking
Collar becomes cuff in the definition of nonessential

ouch. got that pink slip a time or two. given a few....what are we willing to give up for prosperity...that in many ways will tell much of a person...i quit corporate because it was doing just that to me...

ha, you did well with what you were given....
Unknown said…
"On the heels of Monday morning" - love the image I got in that which was a CEOs stilettos as she walks away leaving the pink slip. Awesome as always :)
Claudia said…
they change rules when you're not looking..ugh...collar becomes cuff...the corporate world can be a beast.. ugh.. felt...
Anonymous said…
Fn fantastic, you never fail me. I love the heat and the anger, and the last two lines really brought it home--underground to feed your children/over-qualified---wow! You a soc major or were you ever?
Mary said…
"Prosperity and potential
In exchange
for slavery "

Sounds like a high price to pay. So much missed along the way. Evocative writing. The reader cannot help but understand and empathize.
kelvin s.m. said…
...over-qualified to go hungry --- now why stay martyr if you can be of greater opportunity... ha... the usual scenario in business world... and quite disturbing... smiles...
Glenn Buttkus said…
Love when you get all political on us, your anger is righteous, and your words sting like honeybee barbs, for the truth is not always pretty. Now that I am retired only death can slip me a pink slip. Usually got my pink slips after 7 months of slavery, just before the holidays.
Anonymous said…
And I was craving cupcakes. I really enjoyed this. It almost read like me talking for min, then I realized it was written to well for me:) Superb!
Anonymous said…
Your use of collar and cuff, and how they relate is striking (I felt I wanted to loosen the shirt that I'm not actually wearing). A great and subtle political piece.
DandKblog said…
Nicely spun!

"30 hours becomes 60
Stopped counting at 80" I had that job once. ;)

Great use of the list liberties or not.

Cheers!
Uneven Stephen said…
Such passion, even in a "mad lib" poem! Great feeling and flow in this one. Cuts close to the bone. Well done.
marousia said…
Strong writing! they sure do change the rules when you're not looking - the final line is stunning!
Wyeth Bailey said…
When I started, I was surprised at the tone, angry, political, because the intro had left me in the warm cozy kitchen, you and your daughter baking. Then "missed first steps" sprung like a mama lion and gave the poem its personal center. Excellent and subtle until bam! Love it.
Abruvanamedsly said…
Your words definitely leave an impression...way real writing..ONE::
Wow! That was so angrily intense. Great job!
Madeleine Begun Kane
Anonymous said…
Even cup-cake words can't stifle your voice, Tash. Powerful and passionate - that's what I love about your work.
Kathy Reed said…
Great title for this, a felt poem..hard since the recession hit so many...
Ellecee said…
The last lines say it all for me,,,I've been there,,,,I really appreciate this poem and your strong voice,,,,,

Popular Posts