RUN

Sometimes I sleep
allow the nightmares to run free
and wake
sweating
scream caught in my throat
too terrified to move
more tired than I was
before I succumbed to slumber.

The same feeling
all too real in waking hours
compels me to venture deeper
longing to face the monsters that keep me running
To find a way to stop
to acknowledge
what lives and breathes
just beyond my reach.

There is very little sympathy for unnamed demons
as though by their very name they are brought into the light to die.
There are those who would have you believe that
I know better...
for I have swam in the black magic of prophecy
to see their birth
and have felt the heat of the fire
that does nothing more than tear your soul.
Leaving cracks that allow them entrance.

I have been told the only solution is to exist within a realm
where my mind has been numbed
dumbed down
sealing the cracks within a fog of disillusionment
false security
on the side of your mind you have blinded
only because you lack the courage to face the truth

I no longer desire these blind, unseeing eyes
I seek to shatter the shadows
tear through the cracks
and in the light that bursts forth
live or die in the truth of myself.


I'm visiting with Kim today over at Muse In The Valley....stop by and share my rainbow with me...

Comments

Brian Miller said…
ah i would much rather live that life of freedom you come to in the end...much rather than living one in the numb...because no matter how much you numb you still know there is more out there...
Anonymous said…
In that last stanza, you pretty much captured my motivation from my year 40 onward. Wonderfully written, Tash.
Wyeth Bailey said…
I like how your voice grows stronger to the finish. The momentum gives me faith you can do it. It's as if your fighting words lift above the dark descriptions. Best of luck on your journey, from mine.

*hands you a really big flashlight*

Popular Posts