To The People Who Say "I Told You So"

I could say I should have listened to you,
taken YOUR judgement of others
and missed the brilliant opportunity
because you told me it would end up this way.

But what if I told you
I knew it would.
Most relationships
are based on give and take.

Two roles requiring two volunteers.
I stepped up. I did good.
Helped a ton of people.
and you know what...

that made me feel good! Perhaps, I'm the selfish one in all this.

The fact there was no help for me
when I needed it
when I asked
should not be surprising.

We all get caught up in the real world
lose jobs, lose spouses
some of us even lose our faith in humanity
but no matter how hard I'm used

I don't think I could lose that...for more than a moment anyway.

So you keep on keeping on
Talking your shit
driving wedges between people
killing relationships before they have a chance to begin

And I'll keep on keeping on too
the benefit of the doubt
second chances
all that silly fodder

On those times I do get burned
I will smile when you say I told you so
and prepare my heart for the next battle.

Comments

Forgive my profanity, but when the fuck does I told you so ever help? It doesn't. You're right - stay positive and focused. Mosk
Janie Junebug said…
"I told you so" is silly.

Love,
Janie Junebug
Anonymous said…
I love (and am quite jealous of) the way you are writing your way through this storm. Live on, word weaver -thanks for being strong.

Popular Posts