Giving Up (on my terms)

I have given up once again.
There are way too many ironies in this world
to believe we are our own masters.

The fight was worthy.
Opened the eyes of folks who never knew
I had it in me.

For what it's worth
I have made my circle of peers smaller
by refusing to do what was asked of me.

It may be too late,
but now that I have agreed to their terms
they might come back

I really didn't mean to be strong for long
Just kind of wanted to know I could be.
You know that grown-up feeling you crave
Making your own decisions
Choosing your own path

I had no idea it would circle me back
to where it all started.

No idea
you'd be willing to craft my dream
to call my bluff

I accept your terms now...
Now that I know, if you fall short on your promises
I have the strength to walk away.

Comments

aka_andrea said…
I really didn't mean to be strong for long
Just kind of wanted to know I could be.

It's so hard trying to find your way and sustaining that fight. I like how in the end you know that regardless, you do have the strength and can have it all on your terms.

I guess sometimes, it's all in the perception.
Brian Miller said…
reminds me a bit of after high school...those first steps out on my own...not wanting to accept help...proving i had what it took...probably to myself more than anyone...
Anonymous said…
love love love this! Can't win em all...but need to be strong and fight it out sometimes. Bravo, Bravo!~jackie~
Linda H. said…
This poem is excellent. I am sure many people can relate to this, especially young people who are trying to find themselves and their way to independence. Of course, some people go thru this phase once again later in life.

I really enjoyed reading this.
Anonymous said…
Beautiful, beautiful, and whether autobiographical or not (as I know we love donning personas lately in our poetry) ...I hope I'm in your small circle, always :)
The Silver Fox said…
Made your circle of peers smaller? Just remember "A man without enemies is a man without character."

Popular Posts