The Every Day Cliche

Some say we should steer clear of cliche in poetry.
That it's overdone
Belittles the craft
but

Cliches exist typically because the reality of the situation
hurts just to much to put into words.

Ever feel like you're talking to a brick wall.
Ever feel like you've watched that wall be built over a twenty year excuse for a relationship
where the only real challenge was who could lay their bricks fast enough?
Something many of us have lived,
Something many of us can relate to,
Why deny the obvious by demanding you need a dictionary to understand my hurt?

Ever feel like someone's putting words in your mouth.
Through the art of selective memory, that same brick wall can recall
every blunder, every folly, every drunken brawl and all the awful things you've said,
only to some how twist them, turn them, warp them into verbal atrocities of the worst kind.
And you know without a doubt, you are not capable of such things
or are you?

So we seek to be original,
building word towers of funk and fusion
sometimes missing the point
that what hurts one
typically hurts all
and making it easy to know
you are not alone
is the art of simplicity
and the every day cliche.

Comments

aka_andrea said…
I've tried pretty words to soften the blow. I was told I write 'floral grenades' because I like decorative fonts and paper. I have an ex who wouldn't read my poetry because it was too real...I just tell it like I feel it now, no apologies. Love this Tash!
The Silver Fox said…
I've sometimes said that words are my tool, and my weapon, but this poem -- especially the fourth stanza -- makes me think less of myself and more of someone who's reallllly getting under my skin lately. You captured it SO well.

(I'm blogging again, btw.)
steveroni said…
"Looking at the world through your eyes..." Ya know, I began bogging exactly 5 yrs ago. Then I wanted to impress you all. But kidding myself then, now realizing its better to write for ME and let words, cliches, poor grammar, and irrational thoughts fall in fields where they lay. LOL

Thanks for so many fine writes, Natasha.
Laurie Kolp said…
I think "overuse of cliches" is a cliche. Sometimes they are just necessary.
Unknown said…
Cliques are wise...they haven't survived eras of time for no reason. Neither has poetry. I love this.
Unknown said…
Cliques are wise...they haven't survived eras of time for no reason. Neither has poetry. I love this.

Popular Posts