Trusting You

True darkness draws closer as twilight loosens its grip on the evening's remainder.
Awash in indigo, I can see your sigh as it falls heavily in the space between us.
I feel your hand, warm, seeking purchase, and pull away, as much as my heart is screaming not to.

It would be so easy, wouldn't it?
To go back...to that.
To that intense void, where nothing mattered. Where respect, kindness, love...
had all but died,
and we could continue to live our lives, pretending we didn't notice,
while watching life's colour drain a little more every day.

We existed in that gray for so long.
We were starving.

The moon's silver shadow finally reveals itself as the heavy clouds part, and we both look to the sky,
every star a secret wish between two people
who used to have no secrets at all.

Once again,
we commit to change
all be it a bigger one than we ever have before...
And within the fear that comes with it
we are given a chance to prove
if we have anything left at all
it is trust...

a gift that must be recognized for what it is
and the only thing we have left to wager.

Comments

Wonderful as always, Natasha. Very lyrical. It speaks to me of the current state of my romantic relationship, mores the pity. But it does speak to me. ;-)
The Silver Fox said…
Excellent. I think most of us have been there at one time or another.
aka_andrea said…
"We existed in that gray for so long.
We were starving."
The despair of this place
followed by the hope and strength of change.
I felt every word from my past as you laid it out here on the page.
My end however, was not so hopeful...
Ben Ditty said…
"every star a secret wish between two people"

I've been searching for that secret star...

Popular Posts