I'll Turn to Face the Wind

I'll turn and face the wind again
Find my footing
Accept the fact I'm here
Simply because I had not the courage to adjust my sails
In the end
It all comes back to me.
Fighting to please those
Who haven't a clue what they want
Yet insist their goals are their own.

Happiness is a state of mind you can buy
Be it prescribed
Be it plastic
Be it shiny and bold

Folks seem happy here
Toys and trucks
The hotel lounges overflow
Where they go when they close...
Don't care to know

I can turn to the wine too easy
Happiness in a bottle
Until the point where I become bulletproof
Ready for any adventure I'm dared.

Now is NOT the time for stupid
Now is the time
To close the curtain on the pity party
Put my heart back in its safe place
Grab the big girl pants
And run this out of control vessel
Straight into solid ground.

-NH
2013

Comments

aka_andrea said…
"Happiness is a state of mind you can buy"
It's true but in a twisted sort of way~ it's not true happiness at all~ not sure I even know what that is...
I do however know that a bored, struggling poet and a bottle of wine can be a blistering combination~ probably best to hit that solid ground, for a time, at least. Steady your sea legs for day trips and weekend outings ;)
Anonymous said…
Your strong last stanza depicting the turning point is spot on--good contrast with preceding verses.
TALON said…
I loved this, Natasha. Life isn't about taking the easy way out...though there are so many tempting ways to do that...it is about making tough choices and sticking with them.
Brian Miller said…
Fighting to please those
Who haven't a clue what they want
Yet insist their goals are their own.

so sad...and the happiness that can be prescribed as well....aritificial and what happens when that all comes tumbling down....

Popular Posts