Too Soon For You to Go

You were never supposed to go first
Especially not like that
You had always promised
You would let me know
When the memories would haunt
When they would take you back...there

I kept every promise
Kept every secret locked up tight
The only thing I couldn't do
Was love you the way you needed me to
I tried so hard to fill in those blanks
Watched you stumble
Watched you fall
A heart just too big for this world

Hindsight tells me it could have been different
Shows me there was a way
Not that it matters
You wouldn't wait
Now I know
You couldn't.

It's been so long
And I still don't know how to say goodbye
You took that away from me

Perhaps the evening will come
When I'll dream of you as you were before
As we were before
You decided it was time to go home. 

NH
2013

Comments

Anonymous said…
Sigh...
Ben Ditty said…
I keep feeling this feeling, Tash.

Popular Posts