Dead Poets

   

I whisper the words of dead poets
I've not the courage to share my own.
Constricted and dying
Truth knows no part of me.

I sing the songs of the forgotten
They are fools to think them my own.
Why is it my motives go unquestioned
While words die at my hand.

I dance to the prayers of the dead
Round ancient graves by pure witch light.
I dare not speak of this
For fear Ill have to share my wine.

I raise a toast to the words of the poets,
Those who are gone, those who are still alive
I confess I fear this world we've made
That would love to see the words die.

I whisper the words of dead poets
In hopes their truth survives.

NH
2013

Comments

The Silver Fox said…
Wow, I really liked this one!
This was such a joy to read - it was light as a feather but weighty and purposeful, like a credo. Excellent!

Popular Posts