Never Forgotten

The fog has dropped like a curtain across the flat horizon.
With it, comes the looming sense of winter, eternal sleep...death.
The urge to go to ground suddenly stronger than the autumn fire that has heated my blood.

I am dressed for his return. In his absence I desire to please. So easy...red lips, red nails...not much more. Too easy. The challenge rises in my resistance, a game of shadows in this dripping, murky light.

Long drawn out evenings of darkness. Left to my own devices. Happy in this new role. A promise twenty years in the making. My thoughts wander as I wait. Memories from here to there. I light a candle to force the ghosts away. Now is not the moment for harsh electric.

I hear the sudden exchange as his key rolls the tumbler...drifting down the hall towards my waiting ears...my waiting everything. In this isolation, my lost hero has returned. 

To escape from under the weight of the life we once knew. To again sing like the siren. To taunt, tease. To prove I have not forgotten. Only...I needed help finding my way back.

NH
2013 

Comments

Unknown said…
quite chilling... yet, it's almost like the person is welcoming the darkness... nice write Tash!! :))

Popular Posts