Put This to Memory

I want to tell you it will be easy.
I want you to believe
That if you work hard enough
Long enough
You will be rightly rewarded
For your effort...

This was the first lie
I had to memorize

I want to tell you to be kind
Above all else 
Because kindness begets kindness
And no good deed goes unnoticed

This too
Had to be put to memory
It is no doubt the biggest crock of shit
And will do you the most harm

Most of all
I wish I could tell you
Our law is just
And stands on the side of right

But right does not mean legal
And ethics is the first thing to get tossed
On the psych assessment
Of the brutal enforcers 

For the laws as they are written
Must be upheld
Lest our society expose its weakness
And starts to care too much.

The only thing that matters
Is you are on your own
Love while you can
Laugh every chance you get
And never let them break you

We need you
More than you've yet to realize
In spite of every wrong 
That will be done against you
Every hurt that is undeserved
You only win
By not letting them.

NH
2013

Comments

aka_andrea said…
Oh! How I can relate to this one~
Wow! Home run, baby! This is magnificent, as a poem, a monologue and a poemonolgue.

Exquisite and smart! Wow! Did I already say that? Sending a poet hug and kiss!

Excellent!
Anonymous said…
Outstanding, Natasha. Revealing what we all know but can't say quite so well. :)

Popular Posts