Cat Naps

I have taken to cat naps in the afternoon. Perhaps it's my age. Perhaps it's the way the sunshine cuts prisms of warmth across the hand stitched quilt that has traveled with me since childhood. Perhaps...the lack of shackles and chains in my dream state is much more appealing than the world awake?

I've run from sleep for a very long time. I thought monsters and terrors were the beasts that haunted, now, I'm left to ponder if it's not simply a happiness and contentment I'll never know, revealed through a vapor of images, coalescing into fragments of wishes only to be realized in the intoxication of serotonin. 

There's no mistaking the pleasure found in the warmth of the sunshine against my skin in spite of winter's chill. There's no denying the comfort of the smoothed, scented texture of being wrapped within my familiar totem. There's nothing left to be said of the sadness, the longing, that comes with waking.

Natasha Head
2013

Comments

Popular Posts