Alabaster Disaster

It seems it's the usual order
Coffee & nicotine
Vices I can't quite shake
Reminding me just how human I am

Constant failings in a sea of struggle
Shaking off contentment
...it makes me uncomfortable
...paranoid

Ice storms my window
Our trade off for warmer temperatures
My own little drummer boy
Drowning out the songs I don't want to hear

The dog, curled up on my lap
Could care less about the weather
Much less about the alabaster disaster
He rests his head upon

A porcelain keepsake
Traps the ashes
I've never been the coaster type
Unless you count the way I coast through life

I am not fond of complication
Am prepared to die alone
Yet still
I see eyes in the smoke

That curls round the room
See my future in the grounds
Sticking to the side of my mug

Evil truths
I'm not yet prepared to face
So in disgrace

I light another cigarette
And turn the music up.

NH
2014

Comments

I know this feeling well - yes, sometimes its so overwhelming that I need to get lost in a cigar and some good music. This was wonderful, kid.
The Silver Fox said…
Very nice! Too many good lines to quote without reprinting (almost) the whole darned poem! Always worth coming here, Tasha!

Popular Posts