The Sun Came Out Today

The sun came out today.
It almost fooled me into thinking I can do this.
Strength in his rays,
But still...
The heat never reached me.

It is cold here.
So biting, you are frozen before you realize it.
Damaging skin...
Your tears freeze so fast
You can never wipe them away.

I peel them off my cheeks carefully
Roll them between my gloved hands
Playing with the light
Silver, reflecting
Ignoring the pieces of myself that pull apart

I let them fall through my fingers
Soundless into the banks of snow
That have come to block my view.
I try to crush them with booted feet
As though there is a solid end

But there is no end to this
And my feet only sink into the cold.

Inside now,
Looking out...
I can lie and tell you it's beautiful.

I can make believe 
I am strong enough

I can write a poem
Pretending its not about you.

The sun came out today,
But winter did not sleep.

NH
2014


Comments

The Silver Fox said…
Mm. Love this. "I can write a poem / Pretending its not about you."

Popular Posts