Gypsy

My grandmother called herself "Gypsy"
A pen name unearthed
As we sorted through her meagre belongings
In my aunt's ancient sunporch
On a humid August night.

Dragon sculptures and tarot cards
Family pictures and bingo markers
Books and books and books
But it was the old Christmas box
Faded and worn
That caught my eye

In it, I found her poems
Songs and stories kept hidden
Written in a script that evolved
Through shaky innocence
To hard won wisdom

They spoke of love
Of hopes and dreams
And word after word
Her unwavering support in my dreams
Was fondly remembered

If I write for anyone
I write for Gypsy
And all the stories
She never shared.

Natasha Head


Comments

I loved this - such a wonderful tribute.
mrs mediocrity said…
I love this, in part because I am forever calling myself gypsy...
what a treasure she left you, her words and yours.

Popular Posts