The Tree


She looked at me.  Looked hard.
"Dude...it's just a tree."
I looked at the tree. Looked hard.
It was, indeed, just a tree.
A dying tree 
Whose naked limbs reached to the sky
As though pleading for mercy
The insects had won
It's bark, like flesh
Burrowed through
Falling to the ground in shredded rains
As though preparing the ground at its trunk
An ironic burial blanket
The worms had won
Devouring, 
Impatient
In a world that is just and fair
We are allowed to return to ground
Before they claim dominion
"It's just a tree!"
Her voice had grown impatient 
Like the appetite
Of the beasts that consumed.
I wondered
If like the trees
They had found purchase within her
Eating away
Swallowing imagination
Washing it down
With the joy that made life worth living.
Leaving her merely existing
Content to see a tree
As just a tree.

Natasha Head

Comments

Sometimes it just takes a change in perspective to love something more authentically.
Marina Sofia said…
Sounds a bit like my conversations with people. My mother cursed me saying she wished I'd have a child with even more imagination than me, then I'd see what she was up against...!
That image of the dying tree, the worms burrowing their way through, and then the comparison with the 'way of all flesh' - quite a harrowing poem, actually.
DEMME said…
Too many 'see' only with their eyes forgetting the other senses and that third eye of theirs is blind. I think more people are waking up to seeing more complete versions of life and living and all associated with being alive. It's a good thing.

Popular Posts