Burning Bridges

It's been a certain kind of loneliness
One I'm not familiar with
Living in a town
Where people seem afraid to smile.
More than once I've felt a fool
When greetings and salutations go unrequited 

There was the volunteer for charity
Who chose to ignore me
As though my money
Would not help their cause.
I wonder how many dollars were lost
Due to sour disposition
Or was this a gift
Just for me?

Perhaps I smell like an outsider
An invader from the south.
They are defensive of the beauty
That surrounds them.
Have colourful names for those who only visit.

I am susceptible to unkindness, selfishness
I have found myself changing. 
What would staying have done to me?
I still can't quite shake the northern chill in my bones,
Nor have I found the words to describe the borealis that once danced in my back yard

Tomorrow, it's the long road to home
Where people smile when you do
Even if they don't want to.
There...
The words will find me.

Natasha Head



Comments

Other Mary said…
You describe a feeling, an experience I have had too.

Popular Posts