The Heart of a Forest Dweller

 



I never knew how much hiding appealed to me. There was something wrong with you if you couldn't face the world. You were weak. Frail. I was afraid to admit how much the thought of hiding myself away spoke to me.

If not for the thoughts and opinions of others, I don't know that I'd ever leave my little cottage.  I stare about my surroundings in a state of disbelief. Dreams don't come true for people like me. Life was much easier when I believed this...but then this happened. 

There is wisdom here that I can learn from. The trees whisper secrets only I can hear. They are ancient. They are survivors. In the face of progress, advancement, global warming, and hurricane winds, they are solid and stoic. Warriors in a way we could never hope to understand. 

It may not be fancy (I tried that life too and failed) but it is comfortable. It is cozy. It is warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot. It is private. It is close to humans, much like myself...but still far enough away down a long dirt road that they have to call before they visit.

I did everything to avoid it...but fate is what it is and here I am left sitting...wondering how in the world I'm ever going to leave.

Comments

Popular Posts