Coddled

Sticking with attempted forms, I thought I'd give a go at an Italian Sonnet.  Not much of a "student" and always a rule breaker...sorry Mom & Dad, I have to admit I've been enjoying the Form Monday's at Onestop Poetry, as my understanding and poetic vocabulary grows.  So, while I'll never have any claim to fame for being a true to form kind of girl...at least you won't be able to say I didn't try.  For this weeks OneShotWedneday I give to you, for your reading and reviewing pleasure......

Coddled

In evening over fields of gold I fly
As burning sun dips so below to rest
And comforted against my mother's breast
Encouraged wings, so once again I try
Amongst clouds in the ghost gray evening sky
Upon current of gentle wind I crest
Courage found to take and pass this life test
As I embrace the realm where ghosts reside
Lost amongst graveyard mounds and weeping sounds
 Native spirits causes my heart to beat
Where fear and loathing amongst shadows hide
But Mother sends the enemy to the ground
And again I take credit for their defeat 
~Natasha Head~

Mary Cassatt

Comments

Brian Miller said…
how sweet....marvelous imagery...nothing like the mothers arms when we have those nightmares...great one shot tash!
While one can say you didn't try,
But that would be a lie.
But is can still be said
Aren't I twisting your words in my head
Plus I am number one
To tell you another job well done
Take that Brian and Waystationone
I beat you by a ton
You beat the scary ghosts of the night
Oh you must have put up a good fight
Imagine if they were real
That would be quite the ordeal
Damn IT Brian you had to go and chime
While I was typing my rhyme
Don't you have a life
Instead of causing me all this strife..haha
Claudia said…
a beautiful moment of rest and feeling at home you capture here natasha.
sonnets are written usually in strict iambic meter -so if you are very serious about it, you could work on some parts. but it is a really beautiful piece and i like the message very much - and together with the image - yes - beautiful
Laura said…
Natasha, you have conveyed the feeling of safety and mother inspired courage beautifully. If only every child were blessed to experience this, how different the world would be.
Anonymous said…
Lovely imagery, especially the setting sun, golden fields and the ghost grey evening sky.
hedgewitch said…
Excellent close that points the piece. I hate writing sonnets, but love to read them, especially when they contain such warmth. Nicely done.
Maude Lynn said…
I absolutely adore the closing lines!
Unknown said…
This really was a warm and loving piece. Great pairing with the picture.
Anonymous said…
This is a lovely and air-lofty sonnet with your words ringing throughout the form. But, what I love most about Coddling is your progression of ideas that takes us from start to finish. This not only gives your poem meaning, but captures the feeling of sonnnet progression, iambic or not (no rules!). I love your transition from comfort to challenge to retreat to that final sense of seperation, which is the start of wisdom, all air-sailing on beautiful words.
Tought form and you did it justice in spades. Great One Shot!
Bubba said…
Lovely! I like how it slowly settled, like a baby drifting off to sleep. Nice one, Natasha!
Diana Lee said…
'..But Mother sends the enemy to the ground...'. How often they do and thank goodness :) Beautifully stated.
acebiggaveli said…
made me think about the old days.... awesome poem
Belinda said…
A beautifully lyrical Italian sonnet! And as a mother myself, this warmed my heart.
Jannie Funster said…
My girl still comes to snuggle almost every night, or in the morning. Nightmare or not, and I wouldn't change it for anything.

Very lovely poem --well done!

xo
Sonika Uppal said…
lol..i do adore that last line...i bet moms really dont mind...a splendid splendid write natasha....
Anonymous said…
Beautiful imagery and so peaceful. Something to read after a bad day to calm the soul. Thank you for sharing.
Good job. Such a calming one. I need that today, thank you.

Popular Posts